Trouble opening HD Pro file

HillsideDB

I am trying to help a guy out with a project and he's sent me the file a couple times. He is working in HD Pro and not thinking I tried to open it in Chief and it wouldn't work. It said the file was done in a newer version so I couldn't open it. I tried to open it in HD Pro and it gave me the same message. So today he saved it down as an older version and sent it to me and it still gave the same message of not being able to open it because it was done on a newer version.  

Is there a way to open new files on a program that is a year old. I know with AutoCad you could save the file down to an earlier version and then anyone from that version and up could open it. Am I forgetting to do something? I even downloaded it and saved it to my computer and tried to open it and no luck. I feel like there is a way I just don't know it. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

You must have the exact version of Chief to open HD files: X8-HD 2017, X7-HD 2016, X6-HD 2015, X5- HD 2014 etc, to do otherwise like opening a 2015 HD file in X8 when you send it back He will not be able to open or edit the file. And each file opened in Premier MUST be set to be opened in HD. That setting is in "General Plan Defaults", look for it.

DJP

Hm. I'm in X7 and I thought he was in HD 2016. I have HD 2015 so I thought he'd be able to save it down to an older version for me to work in it. I guess not. I'll double check our versions and see if compatible. Thanks for the quick response and info. 

If you are using Chief X7 and he is using HD Pro 2017 ( the most current version), you will not be able to read his plans.  There is no way to save to an older version in any of our products.

Here are some things you could do:

- have him export as DWG which you will then be able to read.  This will be a CAD drawing though and not an actual Chief plan.

- you could view his plans using the free X8 Viewer or X8 Trial Version but you won't be able to make any changes.

- you could upgrade to X8.  If you have SSA, this is free.