Cabinet Crown Mold Return

Evolution

This client would like for me to model their kitchen details having the crown mold return on to the wall cabinet fronts where they but to the raised wall cabinets .  I am assuming this has to be done using a molding poly line (which I have yet learned to accomplish). I guess I just need the practice. I would need to do the molding poly line in 2D in order to get it to turn back on the cabinet fronts? 

807 Bayou Vista Dr Crown Mld Rtrn.pdf

Bob,

In the Plan View, just create a line that follows the front and side of the cabinets needing the returns.  Change that line to a Molding Polyline, add the Crown Molding Profile and set the Height of the Molding.  You might need to check or uncheck "Extrude Inside Polyline" depending on the direction you drew the line.

Exactly -molding plines, not hard-the default will be at the finished floor but the dimension reads from the sub floor (1" in my templates).

You will have to watch with width of your stiles on the cabinets in relation to the molding-usually need to increase them with a full crown OR extend the top rail of the lower cabinet.

You don't usually do crown that way. 99% of the time when a taller cabinet is used that cabinet will be 15" deep so the crown can die right into it. Even with inset doors, the crown will not work most of the time because the cabinet frame reveal is only 1 1/2 - 2" max .

Greg, I know you don't normally do it that way, however the client didn't want the deeper cabinet, she saw the design in a friends home, and the crown mold actually turns back on the abutting cabinet front at 221/2 degrees and really looks nice.we HAVE a setting in CA to change the stiles of the cabinets and make them wider which is what I did.    Since these are built custom not stock off the shelf it won't be a problem.

Thanks

Will show tonight, about to get in car. 

Lower cabinet molding returning at 45 degree angle then the return has to start before the end of the cabinet. That leaves a small triangular gap between th molding and the top of the cabinet. "Extend top rail up" covers that. 

FWIW I always extend top rails on inset cabinets. Makes for cleaner and easier install, keeps exposed part of top rail consistent with other members (which matters for inset) AND happy installers. 

Here's a picture

crown.jpg

Edited by MarkMc
added photo