Uploading a backdrop

Michael-SkyRun

In Chief X8, click your libraries tab then new/backdrop and scan your drives for your media. Once added to your library you can drag the newly created backdrop into your 3d scene over the existing backdrop and it should change, else navigate to 3D\3D view defaults\backdrop\select backdrop.

Hope that helped

On 12/1/2016 at 2:15 PM, Dermot said:

You can add a backdrop to your library by using File->Import->Import Backdrop from the menu.

You can also add things to the User Catalog by right-clicking on the folder name and choosing New.

You will probably get better help using the Hometalk forum which will have more Home Designer users:

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

Have you guys figured out how to add a SPHERICAL BACKDROP and then control where the beginning and end points of the spherical backdrop begins and ends relative to a given point on plan.  

Let me rephrase that,  if you import a spherical backdrop,  can you control where the left edge of backdrop is relative to a camera view. I first asked this question many many years ago.

So the question is,  can you do it?

• Upvote 1

I suppose if I am at a site,  and I know I want to take a picture for a spherical backdrop,  I must learn from what direction I need to begin when taking a panoramic picture.

IOW,  do I need to realize my front of my house will be at the bottom of my page,  therefore,  I must begin taking a panoramic picture facing the direction the front of my house faces and then taking a 360 degree panoramic picture......  maybe I just answered my own question.  Does anybody use panoramic backdrops and if so, how do you guys do it.

Scott,

As far as I can tell the "join" in the spherical backdrop is always at zero degrees in plan view and this can't be changed.

ie, if you generate a 3D camera view, the join in the spherical backdrop is always where zero degrees in plan view would be.

The best thing I can suggest is to rotate your plan - this will have the same effect as rotating the backdrop (which we can't do). 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Just found this topic - running into the issue of not being able to rotate the backdrop. Seems like a bit of a dead-end feature until they give us ability to adjust the rotation angle of the backdrop. Should I start an official request?

HACK:

5902a3d03f43a_ScreenShot2017-04-27at10_08_16PM.thumb.png.bbbb07d1137655bbfa9f540b07894f1f.png

When you set your backdrop 'horizontal angle' you can go PAST 360 degrees, and it will rotate your backdrop around without distorting it, but will change the origin point. This seems to work pretty well for 'live' 3d views. It seems to break down when you get into renderings though - see the attached images - the live 3d view has it correct, but when rendered it seems to jump.

5902a3d69fc31_ScreenShot2017-04-27at10_07_57PM.thumb.png.9e371b7995df9ce74ce4ae129b480bad.png5902a3e0d5e9a_ScreenShot2017-04-27at10_07_47PM.thumb.png.dbeb2b8f5bd285392d022ad5c025c08c.png