Garage Slab at Overhead Door

robdyck

Is there anyone who knows how to get garage foundation walls to buck down to the underside of the garage slab automatically? The garage slab should be sitting ON the foundation at overhead doors, not butting up to it. This would be a great time saver to not have to adjust this CAD detail in every section of every plan. This is especially annoying if you're using an ICF foundation because it affects the 3D view. This is all easy to fix in 2D section views, and it doesn't really show up in 3D if you keep the slab and wall materials the same...but, if you're producing renderings for marketing materials, or sharing the model with customers, or engineers, or trades, etc., the model must be exact.

This thread probably ties in to other threads like sloping slabs, and decks.

Any thoughts out there other than manually drawn slabs and p-solids?

Rob.  I too have the same problem.  Generally I use a grade beam, either concrete or ICF, and it notches for the door opening but the slab doesn't come out over the top.  I thought this had been discussed many times because of this exact issue but if there is a change needed on the model I would also like to know how.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Perry, I've posted the plan and a picture. I take it from your response you don't have this issue. I've never not had it model this way.

bravada_2016-4_-_Copy.zip

garageslab1.jpg

I don't see that in my models, not sure what is going on though without a plan

ok now I see you have posted the plan, thanks. I'll look at it in a bit.

The workaround is what I'm going to do until I learn something better. Thanks to all who took a look. 

Perry, hope my last post didn't sound petty. It certainly wasn't intended that way. I'm not the best at making sure a typed response relays the pleasant conversational tone that my voice naturally provides!

22 minutes ago, ShaneK said:

It's almost painless, room polyline, convert to slab, set height, put slab on it's own layer. You can manually pull slab out at O.H. door so it looks accurate in 3d view.

This is the solution.  Almost painless......  easy peasy.

Adjusting a manually generated slab is how most other programs deal with slabs, like Archicad. I find it amusing that we think this is some sort of work around when Chief doesn't always automatically pull the slab under the doors. I guess we're so used to Chief automatically or magically doing stuff like this for us. 

Also, I'm pretty sure if someone really smart looks closely at the plan they will find that it's user error, like the bearing material on those funky icf exterior walls.  

Just my guess. 

Hey Scott, thanks for the vid! I was kind of surprised that anyone would go to that level of effort to respond. I typically build the slab exactly like you did, exact I build it on floor 0 the first time! (kidding). I'll point out a couple of things that were going on in that plan there:

-the molding that you deleted was actually a plywood or puckboard used to cover the above-slab portion of the ICF fdn. It will manifest itself later in a 2d and 3d detail.

-the man door is 2" above the slab to show the sill correctly and to get the framed R.O. to match the manufacturer's spec's. exactly. No adjusting headers when doing a framing detail.

I don't mind making this adjustment. I was just hoping to learn something new. By the way Michael, the bearing material in ICF walls is concrete and the XPS is insulation.

Here's a quick and simple fix to this situation for correct modeling in 3D and 2D: Think of the 4" concrete slab as a 'floor finish' and think of the substrate (a 6" gravel fill in this case) as the floor height. In the room dbx set the floor height 4" lower than the desired top of slab elevation. Keep the stem wall top at the correct elevation (floor to stem wall top will increase by 4"). This will allow materials to be set with custom CAD fill patterns for each layer. Final step is to set the bottom of the overhead door 4" above the 'floor' (gravel layer) and set the overhead doors framing to have a rough opening of 4" on the bottom. The slab will now display through to the outside of the main layer and the CAD fills will be what you want, and not the odd sized default fill. Now if the fill could just be set for footings, wall layers in elevation view, line weights matching the item that they were produced from...and so on.

garslab1.jpg

garslab2.jpg

• Upvote 1