Polyline Phantom

olyconstruction

Hi Chiefs, 

I am drawing this new as built, and i noticed this polyline in the screen shot. I tried to select it to delete it, but it does not want to let me. I refreshed the view and closed the file and reopened it but it was still there. I tried selecting it by opening another polyline and trying to match the properties by layer but it did not pick it up in the selection. It looks a lot like a polyline I drew in an elevation view, if you cut a section in front of the fireplace in the north most room you can see it. I was wondering if anyone can figure out what is going on here. Is it possible I copied from elevation to plan and created some sort of glitch?

Please let me know what you think, thanks so much!

AB

q1.JPG

MORGAN_AS_BUILT.plan

That item was actually a hole in your polyline solid that got moved.  When that happened, I think it stayed connected to the original polyline solid it was originally created for.  I found it a little differently than Kevin did though.  I just took a cross section, made sure all layers were turned on and unlocked,  and deleted anything that looked strange...Before deleting though, I opened the object to see what it was...

Phantom 1.png

Phantom 2.png

I would strongly recommend you report this to tech support as there seems to be something rather buggy about the whole thing.  The hole is displaying horizontally in plan view but when you select it in elevation view, the "activated" item appears to be standing vertically, and as you say it looks to be the exact same size and shape as that polyline hole you drew in elevation.  Actually, when selected in a 3D view it appears as if it might actually be activating an object over in that same area.  Super weird.  

• Upvote 1

Kevin,

The problem with this is that the Layer in question was CAD, Default and by turning off that Layer you also turn off other things that maybe need to be displayed.

This points out rather clearly that using CAD (Lines, Polylines, etc) in the Plan is really not a good idea.  Using the proper tools to model the building will avoid a lot of this kind of problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I would strongly recommend you report this to tech support as there seems to be something rather buggy about the whole thing.  The hole is displaying horizontally in plan view but when you select it in elevation view, the "activated" item appears to be standing vertically, and as you say it looks to be the exact same size and shape as that polyline hole you drew in elevation.  Actually, when selected in a 3D view it appears as if it might actually be activating an object over in that same area.  Super weird.  

How do you report something to tech? Also thanks Alaska, I just deleted the solid, I could select it in elevation for some reason. It is weird though. 

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This points out rather clearly that using CAD (Lines, Polylines, etc) in the Plan is really not a good idea.  Using the proper tools to model the building will avoid a lot of this kind of problem.

Yoda, I was trying to model this strange fireplace/ chimney in the picture attatched. I think I could do it without the polyline solid tool. Do you think it is better to do this kind of thing in a seperate plan?

Also thank you I will update my signature

Thanks for helping me out Greg, I think I will be ok after I delete the object through elevation. Did you do the same or have a different solution?

Thank you Kevin for helping me out too. Not sure whats going on with the slab but I will give it another look here. 

Thanks Everyone,

AB

IMG_3276.JPG

6 minutes ago, olyconstruction said:

How do you report something to tech? Also thanks Alaska, I just deleted the solid, I could select it in elevation for some reason. It is weird though. 

Yoda, I was trying to model this strange fireplace/ chimney in the picture attatched. I think I could do it without the polyline solid tool. Do you think it is better to do this kind of thing in a seperate plan?

Also thank you I will update my signature

Thanks for helping me out Greg, I think I will be ok after I delete the object through elevation. Did you do the same or have a different solution?

Thank you Kevin for helping me out too. Not sure whats going on with the slab but I will give it another look here. 

Thanks Everyone,

AB

IMG_3276.JPG

Go here to submit things to tech support...Tech Support.jpg

Also, more often than not I agree with Joe but unless I'm misunderstanding him I'm going to have to disagree on this particular subject.  I don't find anything wrong with using CAD based 3D objects in the plan sometimes.  Symbols are great and carry some benefits, but so do primitives...namely that they can be further modified if necessary.  You just have to be careful with what you're doing and keep it clean.  The thing I WOULD recommend you consider though is turning layers on/off as necessary to minimize errors caused by interaction with the wrong objects when doing that modelling and/or copying and pasting to/from a blank plan for portions of that modelling as necessary.