Crown molding projection

magued

Hi,

Can we show the wall cabinets crown molding in the plan as a dashed line?
If yes
how can we do that?
If NO
can we adjust the height of the plan section that we can have a plan section at the top of the crown molding to show it?
attached picture show how I did it manually with the cad tool but it takes a lot of time

thank you

for chief.JPG

21 minutes ago, magued said:

so to do that you have to draw the molding plines manually on the top of the wall cabinets and the full height cabinets

Yes, exactly. I prefer that to using the cabinet DBX. I like : the control;  to have a different side overhang than front;  to see them in plan view; fewer defaults to play with between brands/templates.

I keep copies of molding plines with often used stacks in a warehouse plan or copy from a previous project or have a few blocked ones in the library. Just wish that they could simply be added to the library so I could use "replace from library" to switch a run.

I also do exactly what Mark described. He's bang on when it comes to control of getting just the right reveal over the finished side of a cabinet to match the reveal over the front of a door. Another instance would be where a 5/8" or 3/4" gable end is installed tight to a cabinet box, whereas a door has a small gap to accommodate bumpers.

Using the molding line keeps you from having to try to match full height cab. with wall cabs. Try remembering all those offsets when you have a build up of 3 moldings!

• 7 months later...

I have been trying to figure out how to show the moldings in the 2D floorplan view and found this discussion. Am I understanding that the only way to do this in Chief is to use molding polylines? Does the polyline adjust itself to be the correct width for the selected molding?

Normally when I create wall cabinets, I select a molding to use, which is then visible in my 3D views. I have been playing around to see if I could figure out how to add the molding polylines, but I'm not sure if I have understood correctly. First I removed the moldings from my cabinet specifications and used the molding polylines expecting to see the molding I specified in the polyline in the 3D view. Nothing was there.

Then I added my molding back into my cabinet specifications and drew on the molding polylines in the floorplan view. However, in the 2D floorplan view it shows a rectangle exactly where I drew it, and doesn't take into account the width or projection, if that is the correct term.

My cabinet dealer uses 2020 and her drawings have the moldings showing in 2D. If anyone can point me to a tutorial or provide a little more detail than what is included in the previous responses, I would be so grateful! 

Kind regards,

Anne

59 minutes ago, anne_CA said:

If anyone can point me to a tutorial or provide a little more detail than what is included in the previous responses, I would be so grateful! 

Use molding line NOT polylines. Polylines are boxes-closed objects.

If you switch to molding lines instead of as part of the cabinet they will show in plan view as long as that layer is on.

They will be on the molding layer by default, so you have to turn that layer on to see them in elevation or in 3D.

What I do-

1)-Snap to one corner of a cabinet and pull a line that is longer than the cabinet to make it easy to see and grab until I have molding on it.

(NOTE that if you have a molding selected in the library and then start to draw the molding line it will automagically use that molding making live a little simpler:)

BUT if you just grab a molding profile from the library and drop it on the plan it will be a polyline instead of a line)

2)- then adjust the moldings height to be equal to -the height I want it to start at PLUS the thickness of the floor. (someday that will change I hope)

(NOTE- Chief OOB defaults will set the floor for a kitchen to be 7/8" even if the rest of the rooms have a 1" floor total. Now I have yet to run into a kitchen where the floor was lower than the rest of the rooms-more often taller. I set all of my floor thickness to equal 1" in the defaults for my templates. Makes the math simpler and as I said closer to IRL)

3)- add any other moldings and adjust height- adjust "extrude inside polyline" if you moldings are on the wrong side of the line.

Once drawn. The little square at the end, pull it back to the cabinet corner until it snaps. Then grab the little diamond and drag it to back to the next corner-etc until you have the moldings everywhere you need them.

To avoid having to redo the moldings if you need them elsewhere in the room-copy and past to a blank area, select a segment, right click, "disconnect selected edge"- move that out of the way. Delete the rest of the copy. Copy that single molding line anywhere you need it and proceed to fit to the cabinets.

I keep molding stacks in a "warehouse plan" for future use. I keep 6 ft lenghts and paste a little cad detail next to that is a section thought the molding stack so I know what it is.

I have some named by customer, some named by the molding and brand, and keep them organized by height off floor and ceiling height.

Using this method when it comes time to order you can select each line, open the DBX and read the total length of the moldings. Add em up and then add for cuts and you now know how much molding to order. 

Attached in a zip file is a macro I use that counts cuts and then adds in for cuts to get a total length to order for each molding line.

Once imported into the plan use for the label of the molding line -it reads in number of feet how much you need to order (slightly generous but better safe than sorry)

Molding Order.zip

molding lines.png

Sorry for the delayed thank, Mark. Chieftalk didn't notify me that I had a response. Thank you so much for your help! I have been using Chief Arch for about 3 years, and there is SO MUCH to absorb. I used to take the video tutorials religiously until they started changing how to do things. If I get really stuck, I call the help line since I pay for the SSA. 

I will try your way. I  admit some of it sounds over my head when I read it, but when I am trying it with your picture open, I hope the lightbulb will go off.

I was playing around and was able to get molding to display in 2D using this process. I made the molding line bright blue so I could easily see it. My objective is to see accurate molding outlines in the floor plan view, so I'm not concerned with floor height. The elevations and 3D views do a great job with the molding. It is helpful to me to see a top-down view to get an idea of how things are hanging over other things.

Kind regards,

Anne

drawing molding.jpg

Hi again, Mark. I was able to draw the moldings using your method. Yay! It took me a couple of tries to realize that I didn't need to add the crown molding to the molding line because I had already specified it when I drew the cabinet. Once I figured out why I was seeing an extra crown molding, everything looked just fine in 3D.

So, I guess the short answer to my original question is that there is no simple method to get moldings to show up in the 2D floorplan view. You have to draw them on and now I know two ways to do it. Thank you again for taking the time to explain this to me.

I am going to make a suggestion/request that Chief Architect programmers update the code to have all moldings selected in the cabinet specification windows show up in both 2D and 3D views without us having to take the time to redraw them. Sheesh. It is frustrating that designers have to waste time trying to figure out how to do something that a programmer can make happen easily. They were able to create buttons to show the cabinet doors and drawers open or closed in X9 whereas previously you had to go through ridiculous and long steps to show each one open.

Have a wonderful evening!

Anne

3 hours ago, anne_CA said:

Hi again, Mark. I was able to draw the moldings using your method. Yay! It took me a couple of tries to realize that I didn't need to add the crown molding to the molding line because I had already specified it when I drew the cabinet. Once I figured out why I was seeing an extra crown molding, everything looked just fine in 3D.

So, I guess the short answer to my original question is that there is no simple method to get moldings to show up in the 2D floorplan view. You have to draw them on and now I know two ways to do it. Thank you again for taking the time to explain this to me.

I am going to make a suggestion/request that Chief Architect programmers update the code to have all moldings selected in the cabinet specification windows show up in both 2D and 3D views without us having to take the time to redraw them. Sheesh. It is frustrating that designers have to waste time trying to figure out how to do something that a programmer can make happen easily. They were able to create buttons to show the cabinet doors and drawers open or closed in X9 whereas previously you had to go through ridiculous and long steps to show each one open.

Have a wonderful evening!

Anne

Another person called me about this specific thing today and I had a plan that needed molding so I did a rare video (rare as in I don't do em so take it with a grain of salt)

The end has the start of a warehouse plan for moldings. I mumbled at the end of the vid, the one thing I would like to have available is to be able to place my molding line stacks in the user library. Then I can have them drawn and use replace from to quickly show variations. The ability to drag a profile from the library is great though. I saw your request and I understand you prefer that method. For me I seriously doubt that moldings in the cabinet dbx can be made to work for all of my needs and be nearly as efficient but to each his or her own -that is one of the great things about Chief :)

molding_lines.mp4

• Upvote 1

It's not that I prefer my suggestion over your way of doing things. I just watched your video and you are waayyy more advanced than I am, so for me, the simpler, the better.

It is interesting to note that using the Control M in your video appeared to produce different results than when I used the Build > Trim > Molding line as you instructed. So now I am going to try it using the hot key and see what happens. Regardless of whether one uses the cabinet specification window or Control M to set the moldings, we should only have to do it once to be able to see the molding outlines in the floor plan view. 

Happy designing,

Anne

47 minutes ago, anne_CA said:

It's not that I prefer my suggestion over your way of doing things. I just watched your video and you are waayyy more advanced than I am, so for me, the simpler, the better.

It is interesting to note that using the Control M in your video appeared to produce different results than when I used the Build > Trim > Molding line as you instructed. So now I am going to try it using the hot key and see what happens. Regardless of whether one uses the cabinet specification window or Control M to set the moldings, we should only have to do it once to be able to see the molding outlines in the floor plan view. 

Happy designing,

Anne

Spend some time learning the Trim>Molding function. It is far more powerful and versatile than the cabinet DBX molding option. Just takes a bit of time but once mastered you will not use the cabinet one very often.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Spend some time learning the Trim>Molding function. It is far more powerful and versatile than the cabinet DBX molding option. Just takes a bit of time but once mastered you will not use the cabinet one very often.

Graham, I have just spent the better part of the last two hours playing with the Trim > Molding function, this time using Mark's video and creating an ALT+ M hot key.

I've had quite a lot of "fun" trying to get light rail molding onto the bottom of my cabinets. I thought I could add a new molding and assign a height for that molding on the General tab of the specification window, but that moved my crown molding down to the bottom with the light rail. The only way I could add light rail molding to the bottom of a cabinet that also has molding on the top is to play with the vertical offset number until it moved the LRM to the bottom of the cabinet. Is there an easier way?

I am going to have to re-instate my weekly "play with Chief Architect" days :unsure: because tutorials I have taken over the years are no longer accurate as updates have occurred.

Thanks,

Anne

6 minutes ago, anne_CA said:

Graham, I have just spent the better part of the last two hours playing with the Trim > Molding function, this time using Mark's video and creating an ALT+ M hot key.

I've had quite a lot of "fun" trying to get light rail molding onto the bottom of my cabinets. I thought I could add a new molding and assign a height for that molding on the General tab of the specification window, but that moved my crown molding down to the bottom with the light rail. The only way I could add light rail molding to the bottom of a cabinet that also has molding on the top is to play with the vertical offset number until it moved the LRM to the bottom of the cabinet. Is there an easier way?

I am going to have to re-instate my weekly "play with Chief Architect" days :unsure: because tutorials I have taken over the years are no longer accurate as updates have occurred.

Thanks,

Anne

I would not do the crown & light valance with the same molding line. Use a separate one for each. The purpose of being able to have more than one molding on a single molding line is for situations where you are creating a built up molding using separate molding components. I usually do this for the crown where there will be a riser/fascia on top of the cabinet and then a crown to finish off from it to the ceiling.

Oh, that makes sense. I originally had asked how to get the molding outlines to show in the floorplan view, and that's how I found out about using a molding line. That makes sense. I usually just use the cabinet tool. Thank you. Now I will play some more. 

Have a good evening,

Anne

1 hour ago, anne_CA said:

I thought I could add a new molding and assign a height for that molding on the General tab of the specification window, but that moved my crown molding down to the bottom with the light rail.

Plan with some moldings I dragged from my warehouse-has one of each- top molding line only which shows one reason I use these to control side overhang, bottom molding line only, top and bottom on the same molding (I only do this if a straight run of cabinets that goes between others). I usually have undercabinet molding lines on a separate layer than tops.

screen 020.png

Molding line assortement.plan