3D walk through 101

Evolution

On my past Lake house project (last year) I did 3D walkthroughs for the client, which he ranted and raved about WOW!!!! That was in X7. I thought I'd brush up on my skills a bit in X8, so I took the little floor plan I made of my granddaughters new kitchen (not a complete home model just the kitchen) and experiment.  First I attempted to use the walk through path, (studied the KB before I started even watched a video). I attempted using the left mouse button starting and stopping,   I kept getting a number of camera icons, but not 1, 2, 3, 4?  All I was getting was 1, 2, and 1, 2 again and again and I knew that wasn't correct.  I attempted it with the same tool, this time placing the camera at point a - left clicking, then right clicking the mouse, dragging and clicking seem to work fine, until I selected the resultant spline and then selected make the walk through from the path I get an error message that says it is an unknown error, and when I attempt to see what the fix is, the message states there is no known fix.  Ok, so I attempted another walk through, this time using the spline method.  All went well, until I clicked on the spline - path, then make walkthrough from the spline, gave it a file name, clicked ok, same error message.  I've attached her little kitchen plan file although you most likely won't be able to create the same "error". 

Kristine Kitchen Floor plan.plan

I only used spline method that takes .. oh about 30 seconds to setup.

1) CAD> Draw spline line.

2) Use "3" key or break to put your breaks.

3) Twist your spline

4) Convert spline to walk through

5) Use blue "kite button with the plus sign to add key frames where you want camera to turn.

6) Hit Record button

Walkthrough.jpg

I did get some texture missing but it recorded AVI correctly.

Also what codec did you use for encoding? I use xvid http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

Tiger,  Your video will not play on windows 10 Movies & TV player.  Are you running Xvid 1.3.2  ?  Mine seem to run fine with the 1.3.4 update if you would like to try that:  https://www.xvid.com/

Bob, Here is one of the better videos on Walkthroughs: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10033/chief-architect-quick-tip-learn-how-to-create-a-walkthrough.html

I gave your plan file a quick try in X8 and found no issues.  If you can't figure it out over the weekend call tech on Monday, they love coded error messages.

13 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Tiger,  Your video will not play on windows 10 Movies & TV player.  Are you running Xvid 1.3.2  ?  Mine seem to run fine with the 1.3.4 update if you would like to try that:  https://www.xvid.com/

Bob, Here is one of the better videos on Walkthroughs: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10033/chief-architect-quick-tip-learn-how-to-create-a-walkthrough.html

I gave your plan file a quick try in X8 and found no issues.  If you can't figure it out over the weekend call tech on Monday, they love coded error messages.

It works on my windows 10 system

Hey Rich,  Thanks for checking this out.  Just to be clear I can run it with windows 10 in Photo Gallery and Windows Media Player but not Photos or Movies & TV.  I had an audio problem with Movies & TV when I upgraded and had to set my audio bitrate to 256.  It seems to be more particular than the older players.  The whole kitchen is grey so the only way you can tell if colour is working is by checking the digital clock on the range to see if it is the same colour as your skin. I also have VLC which seems to play just about anything so that is not a good test as I don't expect clients to have that.  Just one more question Rich, have you updated your signature recently?

Chopsaw

Maybe we should compare setting then cause somehow I got mine to work, which is great for the client that does not even know how to set a default player.  I like to make it easy for them no matter their skill level.  Open and play.

Edit: You won't believe this but now I have more work to do as it just quit playing my videos.

I may need to roll back to XVID 1.3.3   I will keep you posted.

4 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Hey Rich,  Thanks for checking this out.  Just to be clear I can run it with windows 10 in Photo Gallery and Windows Media Player but not Photos or Movies & TV

Don't know what to tell ya Chop. The vid plays in all

of those Win10 apps on my rig.

Movies & TV.png

Photos.png

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:23 PM, Chopsaw said:

The only codec I have according to the render preferences is IYUV or MS - CRAM.  I went to the XVID link and attempted to download that codec, but a pop-up keeps opening preventing me from down - loading until I select yes to scan for a MS driver update from a site I'm not familiar with and the last time I did that I was hit with a virus that wiped out my old machine.  I ran a scan on my  tablet and according to it my Windows driver is up - to - date.  I did a search for another XVID link, which appeared to be their official site, started to down - load from there, same thing keeps happening a message stating I need to let it scan my system for Windows driver update. I am not tech savvy so I hate to go any further to avoid the possibility of another virus infecting this machine.

Thanks chop.  I can't get rid of that pop up (unless someone in chief land can walk me through) the steps.  Once I clicked on the XvID download and the pop up started flashing my machine was probably infested then.  So far nothing has stopped working, but the flashing pop up has not gone away and the only option I have at the moment is to select Yes, which I haven't done.  I went to system to see if there were files or anything else where I could stop it or delete it but nothing appears there.  I am sure it is not from a legitimate driver web site for Windows but I am at a loss as to how to get rid of it now

I was able to successfully download and install XVID 1.3.4 from the Official site and install without issues.  I scanned my entire system and then this file individually with Windows Defender and they came up clean.  So if you like you can download from here and for your own peace of mind scan with your own security software before installing. 

Xvid-1.3.4-20150621.exe                   Xvid 1.3.4.JPG

You should be able to record a good quality 720p video uploadable to YouTube or played from the .avi file on windows 10 Movies & TV, Photos, Or Microsoft's Windows Media Play, and  Photo Gallery.  Also compatible with Apple software.

Here are the changes from the default settings that I use.                Xvid Settings 1.3.4. Main .JPG         Xvid Settings 1.3.4. Profile 1.JPG

Using these settings and recording at 30 frames per second seems to be about the best that chief is currently capable of and if you are recording at walkthrough speeds faster than the default of 3.0 ft/s and having quality issues you may want to try recording a 60 fps.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

I was able to successfully download and install XVID 1.3.4 from the Official site and install without issues.  I scanned my entire system and then this file individually with Windows Defender and they came up clean.  So if you like you can download from here and for your own peace of mind scan with your own security software before installing. 

Xvid-1.3.4-20150621.exe                   Xvid 1.3.4.JPG

You should be able to record a good quality 720p video uploadable to YouTube or played from the .avi file on windows 10 Movies & TV, Photos, Or Microsoft's Windows Media Play, and  Photo Gallery.  Also compatible with Apple software.

Here are the changes from the default settings that I use.                Xvid Settings 1.3.4. Main .JPG         Xvid Settings 1.3.4. Profile 1.JPG

Using these settings and recording at 30 frames per second seems to be about the best that chief is currently capable of and if you are recording at walkthrough speeds faster than the default of 3.0 ft/s and having quality issues you may want to try recording a 60 fps.

Ok, I've got the XvID codec down loaded from the official site. I'll try another walk through and see if we still have issues.

I recorded a walk through of a plan I've just started not many doors windows etc, I just walked through walls and into rooms to see how it would work.  So, in the recording stage everything seemed to go as expected, however; when I go to play it back now I get the error message states "Can't play" "This item was encoded in a format that's not supported." 0xc00d5212 I guess this is a MS code?  I've attached the walk through if anyone would try to play it back and see if you get the same error message?  Remember the plan is a long ways from being complete just an experiment with the XvID codec.

807 Bayou Vista Dr.avi

So I opened the walkthrough properties DBX, and changed the play back to windows vid player, and now the walkthrough plays fine. I changed it back to default and got the error message again, so I reset the playback method to the windows player and we'll see what happens from there.

I think this issue has been resolved but I don't know how to show that on the new forum layout.

Bob, That is the same message I was getting with the video that Tiger posted earlier in the thread but I have that working now with Windows 10 Movies & TV as well as Photos, however yours is not working.  Did you remember to set XVID in  Preferences>Render>Codec Options?  Or try a reboot as there may still be some little glitch with the players.

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Bob, That is the same message I was getting with the video that Tiger posted earlier in the thread but I have that working now with Windows 10 Movies & TV as well as Photos, however yours is not working.  Did you remember to set XVID in  Preferences>Render>Codec Options?  Or try a reboot as there may still be some little glitch with the players.

CS-I did.  It is recording just fine now.  The play back became a problem when I open the dbx and changed it from TV and Videos to the Windows video player it works fine now.  I'm just working on how to modify it once I've actually created it to adjust the frames and views. Practice makes it better (not perfect yet);)