Residental vs. Commercial and what Chief can do.

ShaneK

Some on this forum say "Chief is a residential" software not for commercial. It might not be the ultimate software for a 30 story skyscraper but 80% of my work is COMMERCIAL. I guess a better description would be "Light" commercial. Many structure over 20,000 sq. ft. and I just finished a 5,000 sq. ft restaurant (and I have at least a dozen other restaurant) in inventory. I was doing this type of work with C.A. since ver 9 and 10. Strip malls, vet clinics, multiple pharmacies, Auto repair centers, Yamaha dealership, tool & die shops, Ag buildings, gas stations, quick oil change are just a few of what it can do and if any want files of these projects pm me and I will share.   

Lots of us here use chief for commercial but unlike you my percentage of commercial to residential is not as high. With it's built in tools, layers, layout and procedures It can do commercial jobs quite well. You do not need a license to survive from others, just do it. I have designed shopping centers, restaurants, banks and I have seen others design quite beautiful commercial structures. 

DJP

I've done a couple small commercial projects in Chief, but I have to say the largest disadvantage CA has for this type of work is the lack of instancing.  Commercial projects typically have many more repetitive elements than residential.  If you have the same element on multiple floors and you need to modify all those instances separately - that could take a substantial amount of time each time you make an adjustment.

For most other apps you can edit 1 item to change all the "child" groups automatically.

1 hour ago, johnny said:

I've done a couple small commercial projects in Chief, but I have to say the largest disadvantage CA has for this type of work is the lack of instancing.  Commercial projects typically have many more repetitive elements than residential.  If you have the same element on multiple floors and you need to modify all those instances separately - that could take a substantial amount of time each time you make an adjustment.

For most other apps you can edit 1 item to change all the "child" groups automatically.

I always appreciate when someone points out a weakness in the program so we can make a more informed decision.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1