Symbol resizing, exporting, importing, re-set stretch

GeneDavis

This is a new thread to discuss what was embedded in the previous thread about stretch planes and zones.

In that topic, a Chiefer had taken a symbol, resized it to about 50 percent of original, and then wished to set a stretch plane for using it above a counter.  I found it impossible to do because I could not figure out how to export the resized symbol.

Try it with any pendant light in the Chief libraries.  Take the symbol, let's say it is 20 x 20 inches x 40 inches high, resize it maintaining its aspect ratio to 10 x 10 x whatever, and try resetting a stretch plane so its stem will stretch.   Would not work for me.  You can succeed with the symbol at original size, but not after resizing.

So how do you export one that has been resized, and then turn around and import it back so Chief now has a fresh look at it?

32 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Do it with this one.  The attached file has the infamous "barn pendant" symbol, in its resized form.  The goal is to put a stretch plane in the downrod so it can be lowered.  I saved it to Library and brought it in, but it still acts wrong.

BarnPendantResized.plan

Gene,

Since this fixture is resized, you will need to display the original in a blank plan, resize and "Convert to Symbol" in order to get it to perform properly. 

Putting a resized symbol in the library doesn't work-it retains all the original symbols default information. Open the symbol from the plan and look at the bounding boxes-then check one added to the library and look at those. Both are the same.Old symbol.jpg

The only way to change the default symbol information is to create a new symbol.

The only way I know to do that is to open a new plan, place the symbol there, 3d view, convert to symbol.

Here is the dbx of the new symbol.New symbol sizing tab.jpg

I do this all the time-need a leg for an island where the location of flats and turnings change- I may go through 4 generations of make new symbol, change stretch zone, resize, make new symbol, etc.

And that is the answer, Mark.

But let me clarify for our readers, particularly the Chiefer that got this started in an earlier thread.

You must save the resized symbol to the library.  You must then open a new Chief file, and place the symbol you created and put in the library, placing it into 3D space.  That means there are no walls, no floors, nothing in 3D space except this symbol.

Now go to File>Export>Export 3D Model (STL, ) and send it off.  This is what is meant by convert to symbol.  

Now, in a Chief file, doesn't matter if you have walls, etc., IMPORT that file as a symbol, be sure to make it an Electrical type, and import it.

One can now make whatever adjustments in the Symbol dialog to place a stretch plane, and have it operate as one wants.  Note in the attachment, I have already stretched it after placement and locating a stretch plane at z = -9".  The shade and canopy have not stretched, only the downrod.

2016-11-17_1453.png

Exactly Gene- well almost. You must use a new plan but you can copy from the first plan instead of placing in the library.

IF I have to go through a few generations of resize in different directions then I naturally each new symbol goes into the library.

Also you can have walls and such in the new plan BUT if you do you have to turn ALL of those layers off in the 3d view before making converting to symbol.

When building symbols with solids, plines and whatever other junk I often find it easier to have a wall to reference and a floor to reference to with back clipped section views.