ChiefTalk Migration

Dan_Park

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:16 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

I'm not getting any E-mails automatically sent to me on the posts I put anything on, and the check to send me -e-mails is checked.

There are a bunch of notification settings. Including the ability to choose notification methods on a per topic basis.

If you choose Manage Followed content you can see how you can change the preference for each item you follow. Under Account Settings there are another set of options where you can choose to get emails or notification pop ups on screen or both.

Try going through those settings and see if something is misconfigured.

I'm still trying to learn how this all works myself so good luck and let us know how it turns out.

14 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Dan,

There are a couple of things we evidently lost:

• Number of downloads of attachments
  • Post # within a Thread

Is there any chance of getting those back?

Joe, you can get the number of downloads  for at least your own items by clicking on My Attachments.   It would be nice to get both of those capabilities back though. 

One other capability we seem to have lost was the ability to check "reputation" content.   Beyond vain reasons, this was actually a valuable tool to help judge whether not certain things were being well received  and found helpful or not.   We can still obviously see whether certain posts have been voted up or down but there's no way of easily finding or searching that content.

I believe the issue where you could not login on phones and small devices is now resolved. 

We still have the issue of being logged in on two devices. Please test by closing out of ChiefTalk on your browser and attempting to login with your phones. 

Thanks,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Dan,

There are a couple of things we evidently lost:

• Number of downloads of attachments
  • Post # within a Thread

Is there any chance of getting those back?

I took a look at the post # within a thread issue. The issue is complicated by the fact that certain posts may become hidden by moderation. The count in these cases becomes somewhat indeterminate depending on how you want to present the data.

This is the reason the count was removed by the software vendor.

That said we could count the posts on each page and assign a number if it's a very important feature.

The real question I have is what is the purpose of using the post number? If I understand the reason I might be able to solve the problem better.

For Sharing:

You can share a post by clicking on the share icon - upper right corner of the post - and pasting the link:

Which, as you can see, above inserts the text of the post with a link so a user can not only read the post here but can also jump over to that thread.

---

I'll look at the number of downloads on attachments next.

17 hours ago, Dan_Park said:

I believe the issue where you could not login on phones and small devices is now resolved. 

We still have the issue of being logged in on two devices. Please test by closing out of ChiefTalk on your browser and attempting to login with your phones. 

Thanks,

Login on phone no problem. Closed desktop browser, cleared cache on phone, login no problem, open desktop, no problem am logged in already as was typical.

Are there any plans to beef up the search facitlity? not great compared to what we had.

The real reason (from my point of view anyway) for having post numbers is for quick reference without filling up the page too much.  Posting the link is a good alternative though and we could even make that much shorter like this...

See post here.

Thanks Dan

The one thing that will continue to be a problem is old threads that used post numbers to reference other posts.  We would each have to individually go back and edit each and every one of those instances to clean it up.   Its probably not all that big a deal though.  I'll use the "replace link with text" option from now on I think.

OK, I understand.  

If the thread is split, or moderated, the post number changes.

Inserting the link is probably just as easy as finding the post number and refers to the internal id number of the post.

Let's go for a while and see how it works by inserting the post. If we still feel we need the ids later I can re-address the issue. 

Thanks,

4 minutes ago, Dan_Park said:

Let's go for a while and see how it works by inserting the post. If we still feel we need the ids later I can re-address the issue. 

Lets not forget about the wealth of information that is now a confusing mess because this feature has been lost and deleted from all of the existing posts since the beginning of the previous forum. 

If a post has a fixed ID then please display it so that it can be referenced without wasting an ever expanding amount of space. 

1 hour ago, Mark3D said:

I still can not load chief talk on my note 5 Samsung andriod

You need to

a) website logout and close all PC/MAC browsers.

b ) Note 5 chrome delete cookies

c) navigate android to chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com and login

from that point both desktop and tablet/phone work correctly.

You may or may not have noticed but we just did an upgrade to the forum software.

The upgrade should solve the issues that occur when you are logged into more than one device.

There are numerous bug fixes.

Of note:

• Auto-saved content in the editor will now expire after 48 hours. (this may fix some issues users have noted)
  • If you load an editor that has previous auto-saved content you will now be prompted to keep or remove it
  • Posts are now numbered and the share post link is more prominent on the left side.

I sometimes get weirdness esp on cellphone where page constantly refreshes (every 5 second?), and if i scroll down at each refresh screen moves to the top. By the time I scroll down page refreshes and I am looking at the first post again. Anyone else?  

10 minutes ago, BrownTiger said:

I sometimes get weirdness esp on cellphone where page constantly refreshes (every 5 second?), and if i scroll down at each refresh screen moves to the top. By the time I scroll down page refreshes and I am looking at the first post again. Anyone else?  

Are you still seeing that after today's upgrade?

This behavior should have been fixed.