trick for adjusting text size on different size drawings?

Lighthouse

My standard drawing sheet (layout) is 24x36, and I make drawing scale and text size appropriate to that size sheet.  However,  zoning and conservation review boards typically require 11x17 drawings, so they can fold them and mail them out to members.  If I simply reduce my "D" drawings to that size, the text becomes unreadable (too small).  I end up having to manually resize the text, which wastes a lot of time.  I sort of understand that annotation sets would address this, but wouldn't I still be creating two completely independent sets of drawings (large and small)? Has anyone else had this issue and figured out a clever solution?

thanks!

My standard drawing sheet (layout) is 24x36, and I make drawing scale and text size appropriate to that size sheet.  However,  zoning and conservation review boards typically require 11x17 drawings, so they can fold them and mail them out to members.  If I simply reduce my "D" drawings to that size, the text becomes unreadable (too small).  I end up having to manually resize the text, which wastes a lot of time.  I sort of understand that annotation sets would address this, but wouldn't I still be creating two completely independent sets of drawings (large and small)? Has anyone else had this issue and figured out a clever solution?

thanks!

Yes, use annosets.   One trick though, is you cant use "Rich text".   It wont reformat when you change text style, but normal text does.  

I have finally started using this and dropped almost all my rich text usage for this reason.  (except in certain cases).

Make sure you have things set to change "by layer" so you can easily change text styles and get the desired result.

Sorry about your situation.  

Try this.  Do your setup for your Arch D (24x36) paper but be sure to draw your outer borders nice and wide, as if the actual paper size is not 24x36, but is 22x34.  Draw a border at 22x34 and think of it as your "guide" border, and draw your border inside that guide.  Leave the 22x34 border there if you want, or delete it after drawing an inside border.

Do all your text and dimension setups so that 1/8" is the smallest text height to be printed to your Arch D.  Consider using a fairly plain font like Arial, and do all-caps, always.

Then when printing your 11x17s, simply use the check print scale setting, set to 1/2.  Since your D-size setup has margins drawn nicely for 22x34, everything should look good at half size and fit to 11x17.

• Upvote 1

Sorry about your situation.  

Try this.  Do your setup for your Arch D (24x36) paper but be sure to draw your outer borders nice and wide, as if the actual paper size is not 24x36, but is 22x34.  Draw a border at 22x34 and think of it as your "guide" border, and draw your border inside that guide.  Leave the 22x34 border there if you want, or delete it after drawing an inside border.

Do all your text and dimension setups so that 1/8" is the smallest text height to be printed to your Arch D.  Consider using a fairly plain font like Arial, and do all-caps, always.

Then when printing your 11x17s, simply use the check print scale setting, set to 1/2.  Since your D-size setup has margins drawn nicely for 22x34, everything should look good at half size and fit to 11x17.

Thanks much for the tip, I will give it a try tomorrow!

Archicad and other like programs let you set a printed size for text regardless of scale. I wish Chief had this. Just let me set my text at 1/8" or 3/32" no matter what scale I'm printing at. The scale should always only apply to your drawing not your text.

...or is there some ingenious way to unlink text from scaling?