Salt box or Gull wing roof

Clemsongrad

I have a very simple small house design, but even after watching all the roof training videos I'm still not sure how to handle this.

I've included the file.

The cabin is 16 x 34 with an 8' porch with roof. The upper pitch is 6/12, but I can't get the lower roof to change pitch to 3/12.

I tried to control it at the porch "wall" and then the house wall. neither worked.

I also have something weird going on with the porch beams.

I want the pitch to flatten out over the porch obviously.

Thanks!

Larry

CA latest version

Dudleys 16x34 Ranch 1114168ft porch.plan

post-13682-0-67830700-1479145505_thumb.jpg

Dudley, I've repaired the plan (I believe) maybe before the guru's got to it. Any way, I copied the facia height of the house, used that for the ridge height of the porch roof, then copied pasted into the roof dba.  Added the end roof by manual roof tool, used the facia height and top of ridge for it as well.  Also, your deck rail and beams weren't generating correctly because you had our steps pulled up to far. Once I backed them off rails and post generator properly.

I attempted to attach the CA X8 plan but for some reason it won't attach.  I've zipped it up and attached.  After I upload the response I will attempt it again.

Dudley's plan repaired.pdf

Dudleys 16x34 Ranch 1114168ft porch repaired.zip

Well, thank you everyone.

Before posting this I had created two roof planes and matched them. It wasn't too bad, but I said to myself, If CA can do mansards and Gull wings, by golly, I want to learn how to do it using the tools for double pitches.

For educational purposes I'd still like to attempt to use a single roof plane.

I am very appreciative of the help.

Any roof gurus out there who want to give it a shot?

THX

Larry

Making progress. I got the roof to break and at the right place, but the fascia height became higher at the porch and thereby made the center of the roof over the house go off center.

In Railing Specification, Roof, Pitch Options, check the
"In From Baseline" number, and adjust that to keep upper
roof plane from going either up or down.
I believe the number should be the same as the depth of
the porch.

Roof still not right. The ridge needs to be in the center of the house. Can't find way to force fascias to be same height and still get porch roof at different slope.

This has got to be something simple I'm overlooking. It seems auto generating the roof should work if all the settings are right.

THX!

Larry

post-13682-0-05943300-1479224356_thumb.jpg

Dudleys 16x34 Ranch 1114168ft porchtest.plan

The best way forward is to do both the roof planes, just like you did in the first picture. So they are centered on the house and windows. Then simply move back the front door side of the roof, and add a new roof over porch. Change its pitch to say 2 and then connect it to the house roof. As my awesome wife would say, "Va Va Va Voom Baby..!"

-Dave

post-637-0-05464800-1479230673_thumb.jpg

Dudley, I've attached my attempt at helping.  IF you would please check the attachment to see if this is more like what you're after.  Also as I was working on the plan, I noted on the end deck at what would be the plan north end there is an attic wall (I didn't build it) and I couldn't get rid of it.  I opened the rail / wall dbx and checked on the attic level and it shows up as an attic wall if though there is no gable wall etc., checked there, and I unchecked the attic wall def but it won't go away. Maybe I'm the only one that had it show up?

Dudley's plan.pdf

Dudleys 16x34 Ranch 1114168ft.plan

• Downvote 1

I looked at your plan Bob and your porch roof is not 3/12 pitch nor does not auto build roofs. OP wanted 3/12

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, Clemsongrad said:

I have a very simple small house design, but even after watching all the roof training videos I'm still not sure how to handle this.

I've included the file.

The cabin is 16 x 34 with an 8' porch with roof. The upper pitch is 6/12, but I can't get the lower roof to change pitch to 3/12.

I tried to control it at the porch "wall" and then the house wall. neither worked.

I also have something weird going on with the porch beams.

I want the pitch to flatten out over the porch obviously.

Thanks!

Larry

CA latest version

Dudleys 16x34 Ranch 1114168ft porch.plan

Southwest View Gull wing.jpg