How To Get Rid Of Siding On The Interior In 3-D?

Woodcraft

Siding is showing up on both sides of the exterior wall in 3-D. The wall type is correct. The spray-can tool is no help. The plan was drawn in an older version of Chief. Really hoping I won't have to redraw all the plans. Also hoping not to have to draw polyline solids everywhere to cover it up. Any tips?

I've had that happen to me before. If you haven't done so, I'd try adding a new wall covering. Double click on the wall/walls that the siding is showing up on the interior. Then go the the wall covering tab and add your new wall covering. See if that helps.

I've had that happen to me before. If you haven't done so, I'd try adding a new wall covering. Double click on the wall/walls that the siding is showing up on the interior. Then go the the wall covering tab and add your new wall covering. See if that helps.

That work for some, but not all the walls. Thanks for the tip. Let me know if you think of anything else.

To be honest, if it's really an important wall (meaning it's one the homeowner will SEE) I often will just get lazy and just draw a material region over the effected wall in elevation/cross section view, like 1/16" inch thick. A lot of time it's just faster than actually taking the time to figure out what the hell I did that made the wall get messed up in the first place.

There are at least 4 places the material that you see on a wall could be set.

- In the wall type or definition.  This is usually the material that you see when draw a wall.  If you change the material in the wall definition, all walls in your plan using that wall definition will change (unless they have been overridden by one of the other materials listed below).

- In the wall itself.  If you open the wall dialog, you will see a material for the interior and exterior wall surface.  If you change the material on the wall surface, then the whole wall will change even if it spans multiple rooms.

- In the room.  If you open the room dialog, you will see a wall material setting.  If you change the material for the room, then all of the walls in the room will use the material.

- Something that is sitting on top of the wall.  This could be a wall covering, material region, or even something else.

When you start using the material spray can, it is not always clear which of those material settings you might have changed.  This is why some people recommend that you don't use the material spray can on walls/rooms.  You can always re-spray them with the "use default" material to restore them back to the original material.  You can also open up the room and wall dialogs to see if the materials are set to "use default".

As far as seeing siding inside your house, there are also some situations that you can get into where this happens because the wall is used both inside and outside.  In those situations, I just cover up the siding with a material region.