wide format color printer recommendations

Lighthouse

I'm about ready to give up on my designjet 500.  Even though the machine operates perfectly, I cannot figure out a way to consistently get it to work with my computer.  It's mystifying how a driver can work one day and not the next, when nothing has changed, but I have wasted too many hours downloading and deleting new drivers to want to continue on this route.  Planned obsolescence!  Tragic to take a perfectly good machine to the dump.

Anyway, I'm looking for printer recommendations.  I print 24x36" prints, and like to use color to highlight various things.  Not high volume, but I like to do test prints before sending files to the copy shop, and my copy shop charges an absurd amount for large format color prints.   If I'm going to upgrade, I would ideally get something that could printer color well enough that I could do a page of renderings that wouldn't look like crap.

Now the hard part- I would prefer not to spend more than $1500, but am happy to get a used machine, provided it's not so old that I have the same kind of driver problems that I have now.  I would like at least windows 7 compatibility, without having to use some aftermarket driver.   While I have owned HP for many years, I'm very open to trying a new brand.

Thanks much for any suggestions!

I've had the HP T120 for a couple of years now and like it very much. It replaced a 110R that I had for several years. The T520 would have been my first choice (faster and has stand), but I needed to save on the price at the time (on sale for $800). I'm not familiar with any other brands as a comparison. I love the wi-fi instead of hard wire connection.  

I've had the HP T120 for a couple of years now and like it very much. It replaced a 110R that I had for several years. The T520 would have been my first choice (faster and has stand), but I needed to save on the price at the time (on sale for $800). I'm not familiar with any other brands as a comparison. I love the wi-fi instead of hard wire connection.  

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply.  Do you think this printer would fit on my old designjet 500 stand?  Seems redundant to buy a printer with a stand when I have a good one already.  My stand measures 31 1/4" outside to outside, and seems to clip into the bottom of the printer.  But maybe the 120 has no provision to sit on a stand?  Also, how is the color quality for a rendering? (if you use it that way).  thanks

David:

do you print straight to the printer from layout ??

if so, try creating a PDF first - seems to cure many print driver issues

using PDF's also have many other advantages

can email to others

can keep an archive of exactly what you printed/sent

and many other benefits

I still use PDF995 which use to come with Chief

others like Bullzip and Nitro and ....

Lew

David:

do you print straight to the printer from layout ??

if so, try creating a PDF first - seems to cure many print driver issues

using PDF's also have many other advantages

can email to others

can keep an archive of exactly what you printed/sent

and many other benefits

I still use PDF995 which use to come with Chief

others like Bullzip and Nitro and ....

Lew

Hi Lew,  

Yes, I always create a pdf first with PDFill.  What is frustrating is that it will work one day and not the next, and nothing has changed (not even restarting the computer).  It's not a mechanical issue, just some driver problem.  It either shows the printer offline, or prints half a sheet, and then prints the other half of the drawing on another sheet.

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply.  Do you think this printer would fit on my old designjet 500 stand?  Seems redundant to buy a printer with a stand when I have a good one already.  My stand measures 31 1/4" outside to outside, and seems to clip into the bottom of the printer.  But maybe the 120 has no provision to sit on a stand?  Also, how is the color quality for a rendering? (if you use it that way).  thanks

Jim, one other question, as that looks like a good printer for me-  can it print 24 x36?  it seems from the literature that the max size is 22x34.  I do some big houses that need the larger size in order fit on a sheet at 1/4" scale.

I ordered the HP T520 from Amazon today for $1200.  It was a tough decision, as craig's list had a lot of used high-end plotters for half the price.  I decided to go new because I have reached my threshold for time-wasting printer problems.  We shall see.....   Thanks to all who made recommendations.