Re-using composite assets

johnny

I'm growing more and more frustrated with Chief and the inability to adequately re-use resources between plan files, which contain multiple types of objects.  I realize you can block certain objects, but so often I have a composite group which may include walls or other "non-blockable" items in Chief.  Further, those items dont even copy and paste well without a massive amount of duplication of efforts on properly reconnecting everything so it works - which can often take longer than simply remaking or reassembling the entire group.

Common composite modeling resources Id like to reuse with ease are:

- Stairs, with shaped knee walls, solids, etc

- Fireplace surrounds that include wall elements.

- Box windows with paneling

- Window configurations with polysolids 

- Bookshelves that include wall build-outs.

-and more 

Has anyone found a way around this or is it a complete fail on Chief's part? 

Ill put some pictures/examples together and let you guys see what I am talking about.  I've tried to isolate the composite in a new file, and that does "help" - but then to take the next step and keep everything in place while I precisely locate the group in an existing file just doesn't work well.  

Here is a good example.  I have a stair "system" I want to reuse in other plans, and I copied first into a blank plan (as you mentioned) and then into a new plan I was working on.  Id call this a fail.  Getting in there and cleaning this up is nearly the effort to rebuild.

post-75-0-04549700-1478990302_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-23150300-1478990307_thumb.jpg