Footing lines clipping at wall intersection

michaelgia

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Hi, ever so generous and helpful core of experienced users.

:)

So, when I draw a 2x6 support wall with footing in a basement, the dotted footing line wraps around nicely at the ends.

However, if I then connect a regular non-footing interior wall at the end at 90°, the new wall clips the footing flush with the end of the wall which has the footing.

My work around is to add a slab footing at the end of this wall to extend it, but is there a better way?

Am I missing something?

(I can upload a pic, if necessary)

Thanks in advance!

• Solution

Here is another way.

It looks like you either need the invisible wall as per Scott's method, or the broken wall using my method.

Both ways use a different technique.

Scotts uses  the normal footing under an invisible wall.

Mine uses the footing width for a small wall length.

Choose your poison.

http://screencast.com/t/hhUl7VfP0oL

• Upvote 2

Hi Glen, your method is definitely more efficient since as soon as you add a footing on the small wall section/piece it matches up exactly to the right length, however, it messed up when I added a door that spanned across that little section of wall.

I think I have to go back to regular wall with a slab across the length that I need. Which is, by the way, 12" past the end of the wall.

Too bad, I was excited at first.

You are absolutely right. I'm ashamed to say I tried to cheat and incorporate my finished basement plan along with my foundation plan.

In that case I'll take the extra 15 minutes to produce a separate foundation plan and use your method for extending footings.

Pretty ingenious method you came up with there sir.

Sweet and simple.

I think if you're going to have a separate foundation plan, all you need to show is the footings under the support wall anyway. The foundation contractor doesn't need to see the actual support wall - he doesn't care.

As such I've gone back to just drawing slabs for the footings. I can shape them anyway I want, like a p-solid.

The support walls are just standard walls with no footings.

I can chose to show them together with the slab or not.

....until chief decides to give us a handle at the ends of the footings, or makes it so it doesn't truncate inexplicably at the ends when joining to other walls.

No big deal either way.

You know a couple versions back we used to be able to drag just the footing to make it wider and longer but for some reason it's gone now, what happened? You could make conc. pads etc. just by reshaping the footing.

You are correct... however...... I was able to do it but it was not consistent behavior.  So funny,  the first time I tried it,  it worked perfectly,  but I have not been able to repeat the ease in which I did it the first time.

I think I will wait for a vid from Glenn to find out his methodology and then I will tackle this again.

I think if you're going to have a separate foundation plan, all you need to show is the footings under the support wall anyway. .......

That is the way I do it every day,  very few issues.  However,  for some reason you threw a kink it the methodology and now I am struggling to do what you would like to do......  and the problem with Glenn's method is that the top of the EXTENDED footing is level with the top of slab and of course I would like to control the top of the extended footing to say......  12" below top of slab.

I wish I could replicate Glenn's model.

I think if you're going to have a separate foundation plan, all you need to show is the footings under the support wall anyway. The foundation contractor doesn't need to see the actual support wall - he doesn't care.

As such I've gone back to just drawing slabs for the footings. I can shape them anyway I want, like a p-solid.

The support walls are just standard walls with no footings.

I can chose to show them together with the slab or not.

....until chief decides to give us a handle at the ends of the footings, or makes it so it doesn't truncate inexplicably at the ends when joining to other walls.

No big deal either way.

I actually use a reference set to show all the walls in a very light gray color on the foundation plan, very handy and easy to add new footings where needed.