Referenced macros in elevations

Alaskan_Son

Never noticed this until just recently but for some reason referenced macros don't seem to work in elevation views. Does anybody know why this is so? Or does anybody know how to make them work? I was thinking of submitting this to tech-support but I thought I'd ask here first.

It's strange because the referenced macros work just fine with the text box selected while Text Macro Management is open but they always results in an evaluation error once Text Macro Management is closed.

I haven't messed with it a whole lot but I'm actually only trying to connect to other CAD based objects. I'm away from the office now but it sounds like what you are saying is that they work for you? Maybe I just wasn't snapping correctly. Actually, now that I think about it… I believe the macro probably had another global value in the calculation. Maybe what I needed to do was call the macro a "none" context and then used ".referenced" instead of calling it a referenced macro. I'll have to check it out when I get back to the office. I just haven't used referenced macros in elevations as far as I can remember and it didn't seem to be working. I didn't mess with it all that much though.

That is exactly what I posted in the other thread. They do not work.  I wish CA would allow crowd sourcing the code.  I could have easily write decent ruby integration with nearly 35 of C/C++ experience: kernels, win32/64, you name it. 

I was under impression you are using polyline(s) with connect behavior for your macros. 

I was under impression you are using polyline(s) with connect behavior for your macros. 

That's one way I use them for sure.

I can categorically state that referenced macros do work in Elevation Views.   But it depends on the object.  It works with closed Polylines but you have to make sure you actually have a connection.

You are correct Joe, and I finally got back to the office and had a chance to work with this a little further.  I figured out what the problem was:

There seem to be some sort of bug (or inconsistencies at least) with the way OPEN polylines behave  The referenced macro will not work on an open polyline in elevation view UNTIL the polyline is closed.  Once the polyline is closed, I can then put a complete break in it and then do with it as I wish and the referenced macro will continue to work.  Until the polyline is closed I get an evaluation error though.  Open polylines work just fine in plan view though. 

So whats wrong with my picture? Macro that should ALWAYS work for any object (object.layer). Since every object is on some layer...

attachicon.gifWhatsWrong.jpg

and

attachicon.gifWhatsWrong2.jpg

I think the problem is that you aren't actually connected to the wall or room.  I actually can't get a text line with arrow to connect to a wall or room in elevation view.  IOW, it's not that the macro isn't working in elevation, its that the text line with arrow isn't working. 

Okay, so I spoke too soon.  There is definitely a bug and I am going to submit it to tech support.  The problem actually has nothing to do with macros at all.  Arrows will not properly connect to open polylines...not in elevation, and not in plan either.  I thought I had used referenced macros with open polylines in the past, but I guess I was wrong.  I had only used owner context macros with those open polylines.  Anyway, I can get them to work temporarily but they are extremely unstable.  Off to tech support I go.

So Michael, I agree that referenced macros are not very good in Elevations but I have used them to call out various items in Sections (framing, etc.).  For anything actually cut by a section, it works pretty good.  For anything shown in "Elevation" it doesn't work. 

btw, what is your reason for wanting to use a "reference macro" on a line in an elevation view?

So Michael, I agree that referenced macros are not very good in Elevations but I have used them to call out various items in Sections (framing, etc.).  For anything actually cut by a section, it works pretty good.  For anything shown in "Elevation" it doesn't work. 

btw, what is your reason for wanting to use a "reference macro" on a line in an elevation view?

I use open poylines for a number of reasons, but in this particular case I was trying to develop a custom solution for another user and I needed to use the length (perimeter) of the open polyline.  I ended up finding a couple other ways to achieve the same end, but I still think this should work better and so I sent it in to tech support.  Here's the quick video I made for them...

• 5 years later...

Michael - 

I know that this is an INCREDIBLY old post and I may be overthinking this. I'm just looking to automate schedules for elevations and have stumbled upon the issue that you talked about here. Did you ever find a solution to this? The idea is to use notes or notes & arrows to grab object information from exterior walls/roof surfaces/fixtures/etc. and have it quickly report to a custom schedule.

I tried just having those different points report the info via their own labels but it doesn't seem to quite work for my con docs.

Quick example pic below, it obviously works with the wall itself reporting to the schedule but the note schedule is what I'd like to see work. 
image.thumb.png.27f76efda1963a162dda4c4ddbbf32d6.png