Changing color of stucco

capitaldesigns

I am working on a project where I want 2 different colors of stucco on the exterior walls.

I tried using the adjust material definitions tool but nothing changes on the elevations.

In the adjust material definition dbx under the general tab I clicked on the materials under 

color and picked a color that I wanted the stucco color to change too. The walls color did

not change.

How do I change the color of one or two walls in the plan ? 

Thanks,

Mike

Mike are your elevations done in standard view or Vector View because what you just did should work perfectly fine for Vector View.  If you want that same colour to show in Standard view select "Blend with Texture" on the texture tab.

Yes, Sorry I forgot about that part.  Just open the wall or walls you would like to change and go to the Materials tab and select the Exterior Wall Surface or whatever and then select material > Plan Materials and chose original material  if  Default has been auto selected and then make a copy, give it a name and edit as required same as before but just one wall.  

One more thing, When I highlighted the one wall I wanted the color change to take place

I just realized that all of the stucco walls changed to the new color. Is there a way to only

change one walls color while leaving the remaining walls the original color? 

You probably need another stucco material of that different color. When you go to edit the stucco material click the 'copy' button and name/define your new color stucco and apply that only to the wall(s) you want that color.

I find it interesting that I can easily add a material such as stone to one wall without it changing all of the walls in the plan.

But I can not change the stucco color of just one wall without needing to creating a new wall type with a different name.

I would have thought that CA would have made it very easy and quick to change the colors of one wall or all walls.

I think it would be a good idea for CA to incorporate a way that we could change the material colors on the model

in real time. 

Thanks,

Mike

I just drew a four-wall building, changed the walls to out-of-box Chief-X8 stucco, then with the paint tool in object mode (one wall at a time) painted one wall another color of stucco.

That is the wall on the right in the two-color image.

I then went to my 3D tools and changed the spraypaint mode to "blend color with material," selected a pink, and did the wall to its left, going clockwise.

The other image is the other two walls, original stucco.

post-55-0-56267100-1478645839_thumb.png

post-55-0-47689400-1478645840_thumb.png

Thanks Gene,

That work faster then the "adjust materials definition".

Another handy feature would be having the color pallet show up on screen and stay up while you highlighted

different colors on the pallet. At the same time your highlighting a color on the pallet your wall or object would change

to that color. This way you could quickly go through different color options for your model.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Gene,

That work faster then the "adjust materials definition".

Another handy feature would be having the color pallet show up on screen and stay up while you highlighted

different colors on the pallet. At the same time your highlighting a color on the pallet your wall or object would change

to that color. This way you could quickly go through different color options for your model.

Thanks,

Mike

That's called a modeless dialog box and it's needed through Chief IMO.

Do you think that CA could provide this feature ?

The answer is yes of course they could. Will they? Another question entirely and one that the answer has been no to for a very many years. It would take a lot of programming effort no doubt but it would fundamentally change Chief into a modern, 21st century software application.