Gray Versus Black Texture Lines In Elevations

HumbleChief

Thanks but I was looking to change the line colors in the elevation view posted. I've never seen an option to change pattern line colors for the elevation view in the material dbx. What am I missing?

I can see where the line color can be changed for the vector view in the general tab but a plot line elevation seems to always show black unless edited in Layout as Joe suggested.

post-302-0-31659000-1478610857_thumb.png

post-302-0-74578200-1478611106_thumb.png

Changing the material def works for me:

post-95-0-00704500-1478612759_thumb.pngpost-95-0-37983800-1478612768_thumb.png

What doesn't work for me are the Edge Line Defaults and Pattern Line Defaults in the Layout Box dbx:

post-95-0-80832100-1478613015_thumb.png

The Reference Manual says these settings are recommended only for legacy files, but they've never worked, and I've been using Chief since X5.

Changing the material def works for me:

attachicon.gifpattern lines.PNGattachicon.gifpattern lines 2.PNG

What doesn't work for me are the Edge Line Defaults and Pattern Line Defaults in the Layout Box dbx:

attachicon.gifdbxpat.PNG

The Reference Manual says these settings are recommended only for legacy files, but they've never worked, and I've been using Chief since X5.

Yes that works for a vector view, as I just posted above, but the elevation is a plot line view sent to Layout. Can those lines' colors be changed? Or in this case to a shade of gray?

This feature would be awesome and asked for a couple times in the suggestion forum where parts of a Layout view can be changed to show different parts of the plan in different shades of gray but the only way I know how is to use the Edit Layout tool where each line can be changed or use a transparent mask. Would love to find out I am wrong.

Forgot about the pattern line colors, but it changes all the patterns' colors, roof pattern, brick pattern etc.

Larry,

I guess I don't understand what a plot line view is. Isn't it this?

attachicon.gifplot lines.PNG

Do you mean a Line Drawing rendering technique?

Yeah that's it Robert. When I send any vector view to Layout using those setting (no color selected) I get black lines on a white background. I can change the color of the 'pattern lines' but all the colors of all the patterns change. I would like to change the color of the chimney pattern lines only as shown in the OP. Decent chance I'm missing something but I can't find a way other than a trans. mask or edit each line in Layout.

Working at the material level, I did a wall with a brick exterior layer from the library, and edited the material pattern colors (both field and lines) so the background (field) is white, and the lines are gray.  Shown here is the result of sending the elevation to layout.

This has no effect on 3D views because in those, one sees the texture, and not the pattern.

post-55-0-36980600-1478649843_thumb.png

Larry, Sorry to not mention that the key is to set in Preferences>Appearance>Display>Color Off is: Grayscale. I have always used this and forgot about it.  Then your plan settings should print fine.  Remember that grey is a color.

Larry, Sorry to not mention that the key is to set in Preferences>Appearance>Display>Color Off is: Grayscale. I have always used this and forgot about it.  Then your plan settings should print fine.  Remember that grey is a color.

Sorry for not being clearer in my original post but the picture in the OP is of an elevation sent to Layout using plot lines. These lines seem to always be black on white unless the pattern lines are set to a different color in the Layout Box, which changes all the pattern lines. The material definitions also seem to have no effect on the pattern line colors, again when sent to Layout using Plot lines (no color). Individual lines can be edited in Layout or you can place a trans. mask over the patterns but I don't think any other setting will change those material pattern colors in Layout.

Larry, Still not sure why this is not working for you? Are we doing the same thing?

attachicon.gifVideo.JPG   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lecdlg3WdY

Thanks so much Chop,

That looks like what I'm trying to get done and I think your suggestion in post #16 and Glenn's affirmation of Color Off might do the trick. Really appreciate you sticking with this and I'll try it in the morning.

Larry, Still not sure why this is not working for you? Are we doing the same thing?

attachicon.gifVideo.JPG   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lecdlg3WdY

Tried it 4 or 5 times and kept getting black on white, double checked your send to Layout dbx and I had "Use Pattern Line Defaults" checked. Unchecked that and it works great.

I know these posts can get really convoluted sometimes and again I really appreciate your hanging in there with this but the video did the trick. Never really knew we had this ability in Chief. Thanks.