Camera room clipping

angelaleigh

There's a checkbox in the Defaults>Camera>3D Views for "Restrict Floor Camera to Room" - but I don't think it works.

You are correct, it no longer works,  it did at one time......  somehow CA needs to work on this......  before X8 I had no problem staying in a room,  but now,  if I zoom out,  I end up  in Wasilla Alaska staring down the nose of the Alaskan Son....  eeeew....

• Upvote 1

Re the Restrict Floor Camera To Room setting.

Are you sure it's broken, or you just don't understand how the setting works?

I don't think that it is meant to lock a cameral in a room.

What it does is not display objects outside the room the camera was drawn in, when you move the camera outside that room.

In the attached pic, a Floor Camera was drawn inside the room and then backed out of that room.

Notice that the cabinets, roofs, terrain, etc.,  drawn outside the room do not display in the camera view.

The only things that will display in the camera view are items drawn inside the room, even though the camera was initially drawn inside the room and then backed out of the room.

Note that this setting only applies to the Floor Camera.

Are you confusing this setting with the Camera Bumps Off Walls setting?

post-106-0-80205600-1478560761_thumb.jpg

As far as I can tell, both "Restrict Floor Camera to Room" and "Camera Bumps Off Walls" work the same in X8 as they did in prior versions of the program. 

"Restrict Floor Camera to Room" does not affect any camera movements and it never did.  It controls whether or not any 3D data outside of the room is generated for the camera view.  See Glenn's post above for some more info.

"Camera Bumps Off Walls" only controls camera movements when using some of the camera tools.  If you move the camera forward or use the camera "dolly" tools, the camera will detect walls and bounce off of them.  It does not affect other camera movement tools such as "orbit" or "pan".

As far as the original poster's issue, I suspect that this is related to the changes made to zooming in X8.  As Michael pointed out above, you can change to "Perspective Crop Mode" to more closely match how zooming worked in earlier versions.