wondering if CA has guidelines like Sketchup and photoshop?

Clemsongrad

I use photoshop extensively and also Sketchup and had not realized how heavily I depend on throwing on the sheet non printing guidelines in all I do. lines and objects snap to them without becoming connected and since they are not real objects they don't get in the way.

Does CA have anything equivalent? I've watched dozens of tutorials but have not ran across it yet.

Thanks!

Clemson grad

I use photoshop extensively and also Sketchup and had not realized how heavily I depend on throwing on the sheet non printing guidelines in all I do. lines and objects snap to them without becoming connected and since they are not real objects they don't get in the way.

Does CA have anything equivalent? I've watched dozens of tutorials but have not ran across it yet.

Thanks!

Clemson grad

We don't have guidelines but there are a handful of things you can do to replace their functionality.  I just use CAD lines most of the time but you can also use molding polylines, faces, and zero thickness polyline solids if you need them in 3D. 

For your CAD lines, create a layer called "Guidelines".  Set that to be your Current CAD layer when drawing them.  You can simply toggle that layer on and off as necessary, and you can easily group select and delete using Match Properties.

For your CAD lines, create a layer called "Guidelines".  Set that to be your Current CAD layer when drawing them.  You can simply toggle that layer on and off as necessary, and you can easily group select and delete using Match Properties.

This is what I do and it works fairly well for 2D.  What I really miss in Sketchup (and other apps have versions of this as well) is 3D guidelines....which we have nothing in Chief I now know that can even simulate this ability.

This is what I do and it works fairly well for 2D.  What I really miss in Sketchup (and other apps have versions of this as well) is 3D guidelines....which we have nothing in Chief I now know that can even simulate this ability.

Have you tried using 3D molding polylines, faces, or zero thickness polyline solids?  They work decently well.  Not great, but they work. 

Easy enough as Michael suggests but it would be nice to have a 'print' check box to have items print - or not.

Agreed.  Here's another little trick though...  You can put all those lines on their own floor and use your reference display to utilize those lines.  This way your lines won't actually live on any of your normal layer sets...only when you have that "Guideline Floor" set as your reference display.