Rotating Layout

Kduke11

Did you follow this: It is important to note that when rotating the Plan View, that all of the text on the plan may need to be reoriented. This can be done by modifying the text defaults for the plan.

To modify text defaults

By default, all Text, Label, and Rich Text objects are set to rotate with the plan view, meaning if you rotate the plan view 45°, all text and labels will be angled 45° to match the new plan view. These different text objects pull defaults from a few different areas, so it's important to know what to modify depending on what text you want rotated with the plan and what you want level on the page.

Start by selecting Edit> Default Settings defdlg.png?1443197591, click the arrow to expand the Text, Callouts and Markers section.

For standard Text and Labels:

1. Select Text Styles and press Edit.

2. Select the Text Style you want to modify and press Edit.

Note: In the Saved Text Styles dialog, there are a number of Text Styles that you may want to modify. With exception to Default Label Style and Room Label Style, the various text styles are used in different Annotation Sets, so it is important to note what text styles are modified if you decide to change annotation sets later.

Primarily 1/4" Text Style, Default Text Style, and Room Label Style will likely need to be modified.

Default Label Style controls other object labels, such as doors and windows, and should likely be left alone.

3. Uncheck Rotate with Plan and press OK.

Did you follow this: It is important to note that when rotating the Plan View, that all of the text on the plan may need to be reoriented. This can be done by modifying the text defaults for the plan.

To modify text defaults

By default, all Text, Label, and Rich Text objects are set to rotate with the plan view, meaning if you rotate the plan view 45°, all text and labels will be angled 45° to match the new plan view. These different text objects pull defaults from a few different areas, so it's important to know what to modify depending on what text you want rotated with the plan and what you want level on the page.

Start by selecting Edit> Default Settings defdlg.png?1443197591, click the arrow to expand the Text, Callouts and Markers section.

For standard Text and Labels:

1. Select Text Styles and press Edit.

2. Select the Text Style you want to modify and press Edit.

Note: In the Saved Text Styles dialog, there are a number of Text Styles that you may want to modify. With exception to Default Label Style and Room Label Style, the various text styles are used in different Annotation Sets, so it is important to note what text styles are modified if you decide to change annotation sets later.

Primarily 1/4" Text Style, Default Text Style, and Room Label Style will likely need to be modified.

Default Label Style controls other object labels, such as doors and windows, and should likely be left alone.

3. Uncheck Rotate with Plan and press OK.

When I rotate the Layout my room labels rotate, now that they are unchecked, (a%@ backwards I think) but now the text is sitting on top of each other.

I believe I have reported this issue to tech support.   I think you should report it as well.  Each piece of Chief's automatic room labels individually rotate around their own center points instead of rotating around the center point of the group (as they should).  Your best bet is to simply create your own room label using a text box or a rich text box along with the appropriate macros.  There have been many threads on this, but if all you want is the standard label, simply enter %room.name%, %room.dimensions%, %room.area.internal%, and/or %room.area.standard%.  Just set it all up like you want it, block it, and add it to your library for future use. 

OK, I couldn't duplicate this behaviour, so I played around and found that if you go to the floor plan and select a room label, open it's dbx and use "Use Custom Text Style" check "Rotate With Plan", the room labels will rotate in layout when you rotate the layout box.

They will retain their relative location in the room and retain their formatting and justification.

I have my room label text set up to Use Custom Text Style as the default - I vaguely remember using this method from way back to avoid the text rotation problem.

Easiest way is to change the Room Label Defaults to Use Custom Text Style.