Point-to-Point Copy - Tool Modifier Keys

kylejmarsh

Good morning!

Working through some CAD details and wondering if there is a way to do a point-to-point copy? I don't see a tool for it. It's a bummer to have to copy something, then position it. 

I wonder if I'm missing a trick here on how to do this?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks Ken!

So it turns out the trick to doing a point-to-point COPY is to first hit the object Copy/Paste button, then hit the Point to Point Move button. Then you click the start point to reference, then the end point.

This is very useful because I can copy a note or CAD object exactly where I need it without having to move it. With my Hotkey setup, it's a very simple operation.

You can also use copy in conjunction with the Reflect About Object command as well.

Cheers..

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, johnny said:

Its too bad we dont seem to have a pt-2-pt copy shortcut key we can assign....i can't see one anyways.

I thought SteveMoe in previous post explained how to do it.  

He was smart,  he assigned the hot key "PP" to the hot key,  

If you want to copy something and then do pt. to pt.,  I do that with a hot key that copies and then a hot key that pt. to pt..   It takes all of 0.933 seconds.

8 minutes ago, dshall said:

I thought SteveMoe in previous post explained how to do it.  

He was smart,  he assigned the hot key "PP" to the hot key,  

If you want to copy something and then do pt. to pt.,  I do that with a hot key that copies and then a hot key that pt. to pt..   It takes all of 0.933 seconds.

Yeah, I have the pt-2-pt assigned - I was talking about the "copy-pt-2-pt" in 1 shortcut.

If I did 30 pt-2-pt copies in a plan, and say I did 2 plans every week that is 1 min. extra time per week I would spend.  1 week x52 weeks in the year means I am spending about an hour per year on something that could be eliminated.  If I use Chief for 24 years, then that is 1 day in my life i've wasted.  At the end up my life, on my death bed, I will think back to this discussion and realize I could have bought myself an extra day of fun activity with my family instead of wasting it on an extra operation Chief should have included in its software.  If Chief has say 5,000 users that is nearly 14 YEARS of time wasted!!!!!

I bet you didn't think of that. :P:DB)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnny said:

Yeah, I have the pt-2-pt assigned - I was talking about the "copy-pt-2-pt" in 1 shortcut.

If I did 30 pt-2-pt copies in a plan, and say I did 2 plans every week that is 1 min. extra time per week I would spend.  1 week x52 weeks in the year means I am spending about an hour per year on something that could be eliminated.  If I use Chief for 24 years, then that is 1 day in my life i've wasted.  At the end up my life, on my death bed, I will think back to this discussion and realize I could have bought myself an extra day of fun activity with my family instead of wasting it on an extra operation Chief should have included in its software.  If Chief has say 5,000 users that is nearly 14 YEARS of time wasted!!!!!

I bet you didn't think of that. :P:DB)

lol,   no,  I did not think of that. Hey CA,  fix this please.

• Upvote 1

Just to be clear JPC,  it takes me 4 consecutive key strokes to enable your request.  I think it would take a minimum of one key stroke,  it takes me 4 keystrokes,  so.......  3 extra keystrokes * 0.002 seconds * 30 operations * 2 plans* 52 weeks* 24 years = 449.28 seconds = 7.488 minutes for a 24 year period.

My suggestion would be to start ordering your starbucks coffee on line and then pick up  (no waiting).  You will make up that 7.488 minutes on your first visit.

I am off to play golf for only the 5th time this week.......  nuts,  life is tough.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, dshall said:

Just to be clear JPC,  it takes me 4 consecutive key strokes to enable your request.  I think it would take a minimum of one key stroke,  it takes me 4 keystrokes,  so.......  3 extra keystrokes * 0.002 seconds * 30 operations * 2 plans* 52 weeks* 24 years = 449.28 seconds = 7.488 minutes for a 24 year period.

My suggestion would be to start ordering your starbucks coffee on line and then pick up  (no waiting).  You will make up that 7.488 minutes on your first visit.

I am off to play golf for only the 5th time this week.......  nuts,  life is tough.

3 keystrokes takes you only 0.002 seconds???  You, sir, are superhuman.

48 minutes ago, johnny said:

3 keystrokes takes you only 0.002 seconds???  You, sir, are superhuman.

I think he multiplied that.

In any case- I use copy paste in place (CP on mine) constantly with reflect, center, PtoP and transform replicate. But thought I'd take a look at the reference manual (I love that thing :)

The attached was done without copy and paste in place-two clicks for the first copy, one click for each subsequent copy all done P to P. I kind think this is the function you're after?

multipl copies.png

10 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I think he multiplied that.

In any case- I use copy paste in place (CP on mine) constantly with reflect, center, PtoP and transform replicate. But thought I'd take a look at the reference manual (I love that thing :)

The attached was done without copy and paste in place-two clicks for the first copy, one click for each subsequent copy all done P to P. I kind think this is the function you're after?

multipl copies.png

Yeah that looks like what i was after.  How did you do that with 2+1 click each instance?

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

How did you do that with 2+1 click each instance?

Well I may have found a bug in it. Copy and paste (ctrl + at +c) sticky mode (ZZ on my machine) them P to P, just continue to click on the next point BUT see below. Check pages 171 and 172 in ref manual.

The bug is at least with cabinets so far-select cabinet, do the above, P to P one corner to another- just fine. Select second corner and I get a mid point snap.?? Checked preferences and should not be happening.

oops.png

• Upvote 1

Got it, ctrl alt c; sticky mode, PP-click, -then for subsequent copies PP (my shortcut key) pick the "from" point and then pick the "to" point- go on all day long if you want.

Added the circles-those worked exactly as expected. ctrl alt c, sticky (zz), pp, pick point from, then just click multiple "to" points and centers all copied where I wanted.

got it.png

No issues here.png

• Upvote 1