iMac, Mac Pro, or PC?

ClarkeThrasher

1 hour ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

One more major drawback to QuickBooks for Mac: It can't do internet bill paying like the Windows program can!!! This is a major annoyance and hassle to have to switch between Quickbooks and my bank's online bill pay.

I use QuicksBooks on my Mac Pro via Windows and Bootcamp.  You could also use Windows via Parallels

On 2/15/2017 at 3:39 PM, ClarkeThrasher said:

Only one little relatively minor annoyance that I will have to research: the Magic Mouse 2 (which I love) moves across the CA screen sluggishly, it kind of drags.  I don't know whether this is because it is wireless or what or if there is a fix for this.  

This has been an issue for me for some time now. I bought an iMac 2 or 3 years ago and I tried several different mice, some wired and some wireless with no positive results.I ended up selling it to a relative mainly because of this one issue. I also notice it on my Macbook Pro but it's only when using CA. I've never experienced this issue with any Windows machine. I would love to see this issue resolved or at lease get some input as to what settings can be changed to alleviate the problem.

16 minutes ago, glennw said:

Are you sure that you don't have Scrollbars toggled off?

He's right, toggled on there are still no scrolls on screen full time, if fact I'm not really sure if there is even a way to use the scroll bars on a mac. I just did a hotkey for "pan window" and I just drag my way around the screen. That has worked out pretty well for me, mainly because that's what I do on my Windows machines.

On 2/16/2017 at 8:38 AM, ClarkeThrasher said:

Yes, I forgot about the Bootcamp or Parallels options, Electromen, do you have to partition your hard drive or something for that?

I have Windows on a separate internal Hard Drive.  I have an older Mac Pro with four internal HD's.

You could install it to an external Hard Drive.

2 hours ago, Steve-C said:

He's right, toggled on there are still no scrolls on screen full time, if fact I'm not really sure if there is even a way to use the scroll bars on a mac. I just did a hotkey for "pan window" and I just drag my way around the screen. That has worked out pretty well for me, mainly because that's what I do on my Windows machines.

HERE'S A FIX if you have a Trackpad:

Click Apple symbol in upper left corner

System Preferences > Accessibility > find Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Uncheck Scrolling> OK.

Two finger scrolling will be disabled but CA Scroll Bars will work.

4 hours ago, Electromen said:

HERE'S A FIX if you have a Trackpad:

Click Apple symbol in upper left corner

System Preferences > Accessibility > find Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Uncheck Scrolling> OK.

Two finger scrolling will be disabled but CA Scroll Bars will work.

Nice option but it sucks if you are back and forth between CA and just about any other app. Guess I could just keep that window open. Helpful info though, thanks.

1 hour ago, Steve-C said:

Nice option but it sucks if you are back and forth between CA and just about any other app. Guess I could just keep that window open. Helpful info though, thanks.

Give this a try

System Preferences > General > Show Scroll bars > Always

Let me know if that works

54 minutes ago, Electromen said:

Give this a try

System Preferences > General > Show Scroll bars > Always

Let me know if that works

The real issue is that I like using two finger scroll on every other app but CA. That particular gesture is horribly glitchy on my Macbook. However, pinch to zoom in and out is as smooth as butter, even better than Windows with a mouse, go figure. As for the scroll bars I never use them anyway, I was just responding to some previous comments, but thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2016 at 6:29 PM, SNestor said:

FWIW...

I used a PC for 25 years...(loved windows 7).  They work great and most of the people on this site use a windows based PC.  However, thanks to my son and the fact that Chief introduced the MAC version just when I needed a new computer...I now use a MAC.  I love it.  It works.  It's simple.  All my devices sync together without me having to become an IT Engineer.  

SNestor - Would you mind sharing the specs of your Mac? Our design build company is wishing to switch to CA and would like to run it on a Macbook Pro. I am especially wondering about your graphics card. I have been told by the folks at CA that it's best to get a NVIDIA or Radeon card as that is what CA is geared towards. However, the computers with the Intel Iris Graphics cards are less expensive. The person I spoke with at CA said this was a higher end Intel card but couldn't say for sure that CA would run well with it.

Also, if any other folks have any input on this question, I'd be happy to hear it!

18 minutes ago, cweber said:

SNestor - Would you mind sharing the specs of your Mac? Our design build company is wishing to switch to CA and would like to run it on a Macbook Pro. I am especially wondering about your graphics card. I have been told by the folks at CA that it's best to get a NVIDIA or Radeon card as that is what CA is geared towards. However, the computers with the Intel Iris Graphics cards are less expensive. The person I spoke with at CA said this was a higher end Intel card but couldn't say for sure that CA would run well with it.

Also, if any other folks have any input on this question, I'd be happy to hear it!

See my signature...specs are listed.  My MAC is 2 years old...so, not sure it's the same today.  But my MAC works fantastically with Chief.

6 minutes ago, SNestor said:

See my signature...specs are listed.  My MAC is 2 years old...so, not sure it's the same today.  But my MAC works fantastically with Chief.

Sorry, I don't see a signature. I'm new to this forum, so I'm still getting to know the layout.

cweber, I am currently using last years Macbook pro 15" i7 2.2 ghz processor with no dedicated graphics card and it runs admirably. I picked it up mainly to have a decent machine for travel but it worked so well that it's my main rig now. I even run it on a BenQ 32" 2560 x 1440 and it still runs like a top. The advances in hardware and software over the last 3 or 4 years have been nothing short of amazing. As recently as 4 years ago you could never walk in to a Best Buy and pull something off the shelf that ran CA efficiently, now you could easily do that.

With that said, I plan on upgrading to the new Macbook pro this year if for no other reason than to have a larger drive. The system I bought last year only has a 256gb drive which was fine for a travel machine but not my main rig. When I do upgrade I will very likely get the lower end model (2.6ghz i7 with the 450 gpu) mainly because it will be light years faster that the system I'm already happy with.

To clarify, I almost never do any ray tracing. If I do I will use my Windows desktop rig mainly because of the cooling capacity. I mostly do residential home design, my largest plans come in around 7000 to 8000sf under roof but most are under 5000 with an average file size under 15MB. If you are doing larger commercial projects you should consider going with the 2.9ghz processor and the 460 gpu. Also, go with at least a 512gb drive, they are nominally faster drives but worth the upgrade. As a rule I try not to let my drive get more than 50% full, advice I got from a friend in the hardware design business. Also worth mentioning, the speeds of this year's SSD's are insane!

Another Mac advantage in my usage experience is Finder verses Windows Explorer. Finder is much simpler to organize than file explorer in my opinion. Why Windows hasn't added the ability to tag folders after all these years is beyond me. That is my most used feature in Finder. Anyway, hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Steve-C said:

cweber, I am currently using last years Macbook pro 15" i7 2.2 ghz processor with no dedicated graphics card and it runs admirably.

Steve-C, thanks for the feedback! There must be some sort of built-in graphics capability? Intel HD? Intel Iris?

8 minutes ago, cweber said:

Steve-C, thanks for the feedback! There must be some sort of built-in graphics capability? Intel HD? Intel Iris?

Yes it's Iris Pro. Integrated graphics have made huge strides in the last few years. Obviously it's still better to have a graphics card but it's not as critical an element as it used to be. My Sony touch screen has built in graphics and a dual core processor and it runs pretty well too. Of course I mostly use if for inputing field measurements but I have built 3D models with it.

I'm a brand new user of CA. I'm currently using a 2014 21" iMac. I'm a full time firefighter and do drawings in my off-days. I've been looking at different laptops to be able to use at the fire station instead of taking my iMac back and forth. Everything I have at home is apple, so that's what I want to stick with. I'm probably going to buy the new MBP 15" w/touch bar. Is the 2.7 GHz processor enough, or should I upgrade to the 2.9? And is the Radeon 455 sufficient, or is it better to go with the 460? Currently I'm not doing any RTing and not really planning on it. Also I want to be able to use this MBP for as long as possible, so should I opt for the 1TB or will 512 be fine, as far as upgrading OS goes. I have a 2007 MB, but can not upgrade past Mountain Lion because it's only a 256.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out how much I need to spend. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I am a Mac user for 8 years now, and so sticking with the Apple EcoSystem for now, but, I want faster walk-thru renderings and ray-tracing.

I currently use X9 on a

MacBook Pro4 Core  (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

w/ attached Dual Thunderbolt Monitors

I am considering a fully maxed Mac Pro if I can think I can get a 35-40%+ improvement in rendering performance over my current laptop for walk-thru's and raytracing.

So my questions:  

1. (8) 3Ghz Cores or (12) 2.7Ghz Cores?
  2. 16, 32, or 64 GB (does memory impact rendering and ray-tracing?)
  3. CPU or GPU

in ranking order which of the above has the greatest impact in rendering and ray-tracing for how that the current Mac version of X9 is built.

Is it worth maxing out a Mac Pro? Can a currently maxed iMac sufficiently perform in comparison to potential diminishing returns of moving further on to the maxed out Mac Pro?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, basilbabaa said:

I am a Mac user for 8 years now, and so sticking with the Apple EcoSystem for now, but, I want faster walk-thru renderings and ray-tracing.

I currently use X9 on a

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

I am considering a fully maxed Mac Pro if I can think I can get a 35-40%+ improvement in rendering performance over my current laptop for walk-thru's and raytracing.

So my questions:  

3. CPU or GPU

in ranking order which of the above has the greatest impact in rendering and ray-tracing for how that the current Mac version of X9 is built.

Is it worth maxing out a Mac Pro? Can a currently maxed iMac sufficiently perform in comparison to potential diminishing returns of moving further on to the maxed out Mac Pro?

Thanks.

I bought a six core Mac Pro a couple of months ago. If you post a plan, I can do some Ray Traces and time them for you to compare.

The one I have is: 

3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor

16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory

Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each

256GB PCIe-based SSD1

6 hours ago, basilbabaa said:

I currently use X9 on a

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

So my questions:  

3. CPU or GPU

Thanks.

iMac Pro comes out later this year. https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

17 minutes ago, Steve-C said:

iMac Pro comes out later this year. https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Yeah, I saw that.  I was hoping for  new Mac Pro also, and...  last I checked Apple stopped making monitors.  I have 2 Thunderbolts and like them because they are very bright other 3rd Part things I've looked at even in 5K just don't have the brilliance.  Plus I;d feel weird about having a 5K iMac Pro and a Thunderbolt next to it....  as rumored  I wish Apple would make monitors again to match their hardware...

1 hour ago, basilbabaa said:

Yeah, I saw that.  I was hoping for  new Mac Pro also, and...  last I checked Apple stopped making monitors.  I have 2 Thunderbolts and like them because they are very bright other 3rd Part things I've looked at even in 5K just don't have the brilliance.  Plus I;d feel weird about having a 5K iMac Pro and a Thunderbolt next to it....  as rumored  I wish Apple would make monitors again to match their hardware...

They've been touting an LG 5k monitor that's getting marginal reviews. I'm like you, I wish they still made their own monitors.

3 hours ago, basilbabaa said:

Hi Greg,

The plan file contains a camera on the floor of the laundromat that you can Raytrace.  Also there is a walk thru path that I'm curious on how long it takes to complete on your system, at 30 fps.

Thanks!

Plan.plan

Ray Trace: 10 Passes, = 1 min. 54 sec.

Walk Thru: 30 fps, 71 sec., 2130 frames = 13 min. 9 sec.