100 year old brick Flour Mill model

Clemsongrad

How would you go about modeling a 4 story brick flour mill where the walls change in thickness in two ways: each of the 4 flours are less thick and the areas below the windows are also less thick.

My guess is that you would make different wall types first and draw the floor plan by drawing a section, change type, draw another section and then change type and so on. Will that create any unforseen problems down the road?

Or would you draw the all the walls the thickness at the window and add the extra brick added on in each area?

Not your typical project!

THX

Larry

Not that I have tackled a project like this before but I was thinking that a transparent wall material region under the windows might work if you could define the main layer of the wall as the thickness under the windows. Joe made a special tool just for situations like this and you can also use the label from the Wall Material Region as illustrated.

If you don't have the tool already you can download it here: https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4333-hole-in-the-wall/?hl=%20wall%20%20material%20%20region

And learn how to use it here: http://screencast.com/t/jbJxuYlcOqLP

post-4797-0-19338800-1477797724_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-24356400-1477797759_thumb.jpg

I'm not asking for a total solution including all the corbels. For this phase I just want a solution for the change in wall thickness. It seems to me that it might work to draw all the walls at the thickness it is at the windows would come first, and then add an additional wall at the areas where it is thicker. Yes No?

I would draw all the walls at the narrower width and add wall material regions for the thickened parts.

Like Kevin said, or use polyline solids or even slabs for the brick "columns, pilasters" in between the windows. I find the slabs easier to work with in 3D than material regions. Looks like you are also going to need several molding polylines for some of the details.

Mike

I agree with Kevin. One wall thickness and add material regions maybe some p-solids, If that building were here in my city we would be turning it into industrial/commercial condos or residential condos. I personally would go for residential...especially the storage bins. They would make interesting living space.