Loft room with mysterious open-below room under

GeneDavis

Go to solution Solved by jcaffee,

I've a gallery loft up above the second floor, but created on the second floor.  Second floor sits atop 8/0 nominal walls, and this loft floor is 60" higher.  

The loft looks as I want it in 2D but in 3D there is an open-below room under it, and that room generates walls I want gone.  The "walls" that are appearing in 3D are under two of the three interior railing walls that define the loft above, and have a height equal to the default floor structure thickness.

This "room" can be selected and opened for spec in 3D only.  I cannot open such a room in 2D on floor one or floor two.

What is creating this, and how is it deleted?

SkinnyTrussedFixed.plan

post-55-0-06847900-1477675339_thumb.png

Change the "Balcony" room type to "Living".

Wow,  I rarely use the balcony designation so I am not sure if I have seen this behavior before.  So I do not think it has been a problem for me.

So then the next question is,  why would you ever call it a balcony if this was the behavior?  Seriously,  why call it a balcony?  I usually leave my rooms defined as UNSPECIFIED except for GARAGES,  OPEN TO BELOWS DECKS.....    

Why would anybody call a room  a balcony if this was the behavior one would get?

Another unsolved mystery for me to attempt to understand.

Do you guys think this is a bug?  If you do not think it is a bug,  what is the advantage of this behavior?

Scott the only time I would call anything a balcony is if is on the second floor and outside the house then I consider it a balcony, I did them off of a master bedroom that was on the second floor with nothing underneath it

Thanks Ray.......  I wonder if anybody can explain why the model built as it did due to the fact that room was called a BALCONEY.  IOW,  what behaviors are expected if a room is called a BALCONY instead of a LIVING ROOM.

I do not expect a logical answer.

...what behaviors are expected if a room is called a BALCONY instead of a LIVING ROOM.

Ours is not to reason why--just fix the darned thing.

I actually checked the User's Manual and Reference docs, and there is no "whoopsy" clause for defining an interior room as a Balcony.  However, the Reference Manual does clearly state that a Balcony room type is reserved for exterior use (along with a Deck and Court types).  I guess we now know what happens if you define an interior room as a Balcony.