Dedicated video card?

keysersoze

Integrated graphics processors are getting better all the time. If you are not planning to do a lot of intensive 3D models then a dedicated card is not as important as it used to be. I have a Macbook pro and a Sony Vaio Duo, neither have a dedicated card and both run admirably in 3D. With that said my desktop rig has a GTX 980Ti card and it smokes both laptops obviously, but I can still be fairly productive on either laptop w/o the dedicated card.

I use a 13" macbooc pro. Integrated graphics suites my needs just fine. One thing to not is that the OS's power management will slow graphic intensive task down when running on battery power. Just be plugged in when doing 3d models.

There is also this one for 1850 cdn

Asus ROG GL502VT-Q72S-CB Bilingual Gaming Notebook, i7-6700HQ

Processor and Memory:

• Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 2.6 GHz
  • 16 GB DDR4L

Drives:

• 1 TB 7200 rpm
  • 128 GB M.2 SSD
  • No optical drive
  • SD, MMC, MS card reader

Display and Video Graphics:

• 15.6-in. IPS FHD display (1920 x 1080)
  • 6 GB NVIDIA GTX970M Graphics

Communication:

• Wireless 802.11 AC
  • Bluetooth 4.1
  • HD Web camera

Keyboard and Pointing Device:

• Illuminated bilingual keyboard
  • Gaming mouse

How much does the Asus weigh? I know that you mentioned that you wanted light weight. I carry my macbook with me everywhere and its 3.5 pounds. After a while it gets heavy. I had to sacrifice the size/performance of the 15" for function and got the 13" because I always need a computer with me. I used to carry a heavier laptop around in college so I knew weight becomes an issue.

How much does the Asus weigh? I know that you mentioned that you wanted light weight. I carry my macbook with me everywhere and its 3.5 pounds. After a while it gets heavy. I had to sacrifice the size/performance of the 15" for function and got the 13" because I always need a computer with me. I used to carry a heavier laptop around in college so I knew weight becomes an issue.

My current laptop weighs 2.6kg or 5.7lbs...I7, 8gb ddr3, 1tb drive, gt 540m 1gb....

I take my laptop to clients homes to input 3d model and again to show them final design..i wanted something somewhat light

but good enough not to hamper me with ca.

This one below is 5lbs...a mac book pro 15" = 4.4lbs...also $3k...love to have this but it is twice the price.

I wonder if new 13" mac book pro would work..still about 3lbs...$2300..if this would work it would be very compact, not available for 4-5 weeks

Acer Aspire VN7-592G-77LB English Gaming Notebook, i7-6700HQ

Memory:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ, 2.60 GHz
  • 8 MB Cache
  • 16 GB DDR4

Drives:

• 1 TB hard drive
  • 256 GB SSD
  • SD card reader
  • No optical drive

Display and Video Graphics:

• 15.6 in FHD Acer Comfyview LED-backlit display, (1920 x 1080)
  • 4 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M Graphics

Audio:

• Dolby® Digital Plus Home Theater™

Communication:

• 10/100/1000 LAN
  • Wireless 802.11 b/g/n/ac WLAN
  • Bluetooth 4.0

Keyboard and Pointing Device:

• English keyboard
  • Multi-gesture touchpad pointing device

Ports:

• 2 x USB 3.0
  • 1 x USB 2.0
  • 1 HDMI
  • 1 RJ-45
  • 1 x headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack

Operating System:

• Microsoft® Windows® 10 – English Only

Power Supply: 

• 3-cell 52.5 W lithium-ion battery

Specifications:

• Dimensions (W x D x H):  38.98 cm x 26.16 cm x 2.28 cm; (15.35 in. x 10.3 in. x 0.9 in.)  
  • Weight (approximate): 2.3 kg (5.07 lb.)

Guys,

I posted earlier that I purchased a refurb Alienware 17r3 from Dell for $1150 delivered. I later found the smaller, lighter and 4K 15" unit a better value. Links to all provided below.

- Dell Inspiron i7559-5012GRY 15.6 Inch Touchscreen Laptop (6th Generation Intel Core i7 6700HQ, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, Microsoft Signature Edition

https://amzn.com/B015PYZI8E

- Kingston Technology 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L (PC3-12800) 1.35V Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM Intel Laptop Memory KVR16LS11/8

https://amzn.com/B00CQ35HBQ

- Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E500BW)

https://amzn.com/B00TGIW1XG

All the above delivered from Amazon for $1221.00

Product InformationProcessor Description:Intel Core i7  |  Capacity:8 GB RAM / 1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD  |  Style:UHD Touchscreen  |  Color:Matte Black featuring Gray
Technical Details
Collapse all
Screen Size 15.6 inches Screen Resolution 3840 x 2160 pixels Max Screen Resolution 3840 x 2160 pixels Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7 6700HQ RAM 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM Memory Speed 1600 MHz Hard Drive 1 TB Hybrid HDD + Flash Cache Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5 Chipset Brand NVIDIA Card Description dedicated Graphics Card Ram Size 4 Wireless Type 802.11 A/C Number of USB 3.0 Ports 3
Brand Name Dell Series Inspiron 15, 7559 Item model number i7559-5012GRY Operating System Windows 10 Item Weight 4.6 pounds Product Dimensions 15.1 x 15.1 x 10.4 inches Item Dimensions L x W x H 15.08 x 15.08 x 10.43 inches Color Matte Black featuring Gray Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 4 Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Flash Memory Size 8 Hard Drive Rotational Speed 5400 RPM Optical Drive Type None Battery Type Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
Technical Specification
Warranty [pdf ]
Additional Information
ASIN B015PYZI8E Customer Reviews  
4.2 out of 5 stars Best Sellers Rank #1,769 in Computers & Accessories (See top 100) 
#260 in Computers & Accessories > Laptops > Traditional Laptops 
Shipping Weight 8.9 pounds (View shipping rates and policies) Domestic Shipping Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues. International Shipping This item is not eligible for international shipping.Learn More Date First Available September 23, 2015
Warranty & Support
Amazon.com Return Policy:You may return any new computer purchased from Amazon.com that is "dead on arrival," arrives in damaged condition, or is still in unopened boxes, for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Amazon.com reserves the right to test "dead on arrival" returns and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product. Any returned computer that is damaged through customer misuse, is missing parts, or is in unsellable condition due to customer tampering will result in the customer being charged a higher restocking fee based on the condition of the product. Amazon.com will not accept returns of any desktop or notebook computer more than 30 days after you receive the shipment. New, used, and refurbished products purchased from Marketplace vendors are subject to the returns policy of the individual vendor.
Product Warranty: For warranty information about this product, please click here. [PDF ]
Feedback
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
From the Manufacturer
62abe395-d33b-428f-a020-0b20ef6c53cd.jpg
View life in 4K clarity

The new Inspiron 15 7000 Series Gaming Edition features 4K Ultra HD display. The large 15.6 inch touch display is perfect for gaming and maximum productivity for professionals on the go.

Solid-State Drive (SSD)

Solid-state drives are similar to the flash-based memory that you find in USB memory devices and have no moving parts, making them more secure and less prone to failure than standard hard drives. SSDs also pull your data from the drive faster and outperform 10,000 rpm Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) in read/write speeds, meaning you’ll also get faster load times on game maps and other information that’s stored on your device.

For people on the go, the potential benefits are significant
  • Improved performance — faster boot times, faster application launches and faster access to all your documents
  • Durability — helps protect your important files from potential drops
  • Longer battery life — lower power consumption by SSDs than HDDs
  • Quieter, lightweight, and cooler than standard hard drives

Features and Design
ef567afc-a826-4d70-b117-481599818b75.jpg
Marathon battery life

With a 6-cell 74Whr battery, expect 10+ hours of battery life to power your favorite games and videos without interruption. Combined with a 1 inch thin design and strong performance, this laptop makes it easy to take it all with you.

Optimum performance for gaming, surfing and everything else Multi-tasking processing

With 6th Gen Intel i7 Quad-Core processor, you’ll have all the power you need to enjoy both gaming and entertainment.

Stream and re-stream videos

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M is your performance-class graphics card with 4GB GDDR5 discrete memory. This graphics powerhouse gives you high frame-per-second rates in games and accelerates video editing and transcoding.

a02c68dd-3a2e-471e-8b6c-7e6978a6cc09.jpg

3e13bc24-667b-48d8-a626-f1e30f06480b.jpg

afb54462-6c3d-4442-bd9f-8dd7611efafb.jpg

36f37f5b-e04d-4736-ba0b-7ccc077b4aac.jpg

Brilliant displays

The standard 4k Ultra HD touch display comes with True Color for exceptional clarity with true-to-life color.

Flexible memory and storage: 8GB memory and a 1TB hard drive hybrid HDD + 8GB cache delivers responsive and reliable performance.

Crystal clear sound

Waves MaxxAudio Pro provides audio controls and tuning that can create a bold soundstage for your favorite music and videos.

Connectivity solutions: Save time on large file transfers between your laptop, external hard drives or networks with three USB 3.0 ports that can transfer data up to 10x faster than USB 2.0 ports. Inspiron 15 also includes HDMI and microphone ports, as well as an SD media card slot.

Lifelike gaming

NVIDIA GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5 discrete graphics give you the muscle you need for responsive gaming and video edits.

More premium features

Productivity and precision: The Windows 10 operating system powers your social media, news and more, and makes multitasking a snap. With a roomy, gesture-enabled precision touchpad, you can scroll, zoom, click and point with impressive accuracy and speed. And the included backlit keyboard makes it easy to type in low-light environments.

Processor 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)] Operating System W10H, HE 64 MSSI ENG Memory 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1) Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5 Hard Drive 1TB 5400 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive + 8GB Embedded Flash Cache Multimedia Drive Optical Drive Not included Media Card Reader 2-in1 Media Card Reader and USB 3.0 Bluetooth Bluetooth tied to wireless card Display 15.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED-Backlit Touch IPS Fax/Data Modem HDMI - Yes

Wireless Connectivity Intel 3165AC + BT4.0 [802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1] Audio Stereo speakers and subwoofer + MaxxAudio Pro Keyboard Internal SP BL Keyboard, ENG Battery 74WHr, 6-C (Int) [74 WHr, 6-Cell Battery (Integrated)] Software 1 No Antivirus Software Software 2 MS Office Trial TOPK, MUI (OTRT13M) Software 3 Microsoft Signature Image Software 5 CY5,FY16,Win10,MSSI (C5W10MS) Disclaimer 3 Power Cord, US/CAN Label 130 Watt