How PROGRAM do you use to organize Plan Check comments etc.

dshall

Here is scenario:  I want an on going collaborated document to track progress and to do lists with my engineer,  my client,  the plan checkers etc.  

What program would you guys use?  (Word,  Excel,  or  Adobe Acrobat etc) 

This package will include:

12 sheets of plan check comments  (8x11)  do I scan this into a program?  I will want to annotate

30 photos for historical purposes  (I may want to annotate)

4 sheets of my own notes (8x11)  should I do this in WORD

I may want to add some spreadsheets  (should this be done within a word document)

So I am looking for a method to organize all sorts of info into ONE document that can be shared among many associates and then sent to the print shop for printing.

I just noticed the DIGITAL BINDER thread by Jon Schussel.....  is that the answer or is there something better?   I remember Jon that you spoke about this in one of our workshops,   maybe that is my answer.

Problem with digital binder is all of my associates will need to understand the program....  is that a downside?

I think I was looking for something that anybody could use.....

I put everything in one job folder like (Smith job) that includes everything like photos, p.c.corrections,  plan and layout files, owner notes, engineering, maps, etc. I use Adobe acrobat DC and, Paperport 14 for scanning anything, you can save as a PDF. Been doing that for many years.

I use Microsoft OneNote (very similar to Evernote). You can create checklists, store emails and webpages, annotate and format, etc. Collaboration is accomplished by "sharing", but obviously whoever you share with must also use OneNote.

post-95-0-16547500-1477585012_thumb.pngpost-95-0-61708500-1477585017_thumb.pngpost-95-0-03091300-1477585026_thumb.png

How about Acrobat DC: it can combine word, excel, images, emails, pdf into single PDF document and optimize it.

And any of that 

http://http://mashable.com/2014/03/06/file-sharing-tools/#P_DVJdbkEkqh

or that 

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2505487/web-apps/web-apps-10-file-sharing-options-dropbox-google-drive-and-more.html?page=4

How about Acrobat DC: it can combine word, excel, images, emails, pdf into single PDF document and optimize it.

And any of that 

http://http://mashable.com/2014/03/06/file-sharing-tools/#P_DVJdbkEkqh

or that 

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2505487/web-apps/web-apps-10-file-sharing-options-dropbox-google-drive-and-more.html?page=4

Thank guys for all of the input.  I am looking for something that is very flexible between the PC and the MAC environment.  I have a feeling that ADOBE ACROBAT DC PRO might be the ultimate.  

Brown Tiger says "How about Acrobat DC: it can combine word, excel, images, emails, pdf into single PDF document and optimize it.",  that sounds awesome,  but it needs to work between PC and MAC.

If it needs to work between the PC and MAC,  the PRO version needs to be used.

Any downside to using the ADOBE ACROBAT DC PRO.......  note that I must use the PRO because PRO includes a MAC.  Do you guys think I am on the right track?  

Keeping in mind that we are not trying to save 5.00/month,  we want something that is cross  platform usable and usable by others who do not have the DC PRO yet they can edit/annotate any files I send them.

Keep in mind,  the purpose of this is I can create a PDF file using many different apps,  and the said PDF file can be shared with builders,  contractors,  plan checkers, plan check runners etc.,  and those associates can quickly and easily edit/annotate the PDF's that I would send them.

I appreciate the other suggestions,  however I am looking for an all in one application.

OK, so i'm trying to see the benefit of using Adobe for managing the process.

If you are just going to combine files into one binder...how is that any different then just having all those files in one folder on your PC?  I guess I don't see the value of an extra step of combining them if you already have them in different formats and open them up individually?  Please let me know what i'm missing.  Can you update the files?  Or are they linked to the original source file and update in both places?  Or they become static once they are combined?

Maybe we are thinking of different uses.  I currently use OneNote which will collect and organize things easily including colloboration.  But not the best for managing the process of a project or projects.

I too have been looking into process management systems similar to those linked by Joey (thanks for the links) and find them useful for both managing a project including my team and where each project is at and what needs done and which is the priority.  OneNote and Adobe won't really do that job well, but could be tweaked to make do.

Again, thanks for the dialogue and any additional insights.

OK, so i'm trying to see the benefit of using Adobe for managing the process.

If you are just going to combine files into one binder...how is that any different then just having all those files in one folder on your PC?  I guess I don't see the value of an extra step of combining them if you already have them in different formats and open them up individually?  Please let me know what i'm missing.  Can you update the files?  Or are they linked to the original source file and update in both places?  Or they become static once they are combined?

Great question,  I too am trying to figure out what I need.  Here is the issue.  I can easily have well over 100 pages (plan check comments,  historical pics,  truss calcs,  energy calcs,  BMP forms,  responses to plan check comments, condo conversion requirements,  ROW packages,  my wife's honey do list, etc.) that I  would like to have bundled in a "binder/pdf file"  that can be annotated if necessary and sent to any number of associates who also need to be able to view and annotate the package.  Yes,  I can have all of these files bundled separately,  and they are all located in one folder,  but I  would also like them to be in one package.

Maybe we are thinking of different uses.  I currently use OneNote which will collect and organize things easily including colloboration.  But not the best for managing the process of a project or projects.

Not good,  not the best for managing the process?  That is a problem.

I too have been looking into process management systems similar to those linked by Joey (thanks for the links) and find them useful for both managing a project including my team and where each project is at and what needs done and which is the priority.  OneNote and Adobe won't really do that job well, but could be tweaked to make do.

So you do not think adobe can handle what I am looking to do?

Again, thanks for the dialogue and any additional insights.

My engineer just recommended BLUE BEAM to me.  He uses adobe,  however one of his employees is using BLUE BEAM and he likes it...  my engineer may switch over.

I am not sure what the answer is and I am not sure what all of my desires are at this point...  still researching and trying to get ideas.

I use Google Drive for my consultants (I don't use archaic email systems).

Job Folder>Consultants folders "one for each">Job specifications>support, etc. (Folder tree system).

Inside the Job Folder I have created a Project Tracking List using "Sheets" (very simple, name, date, notes, completed).

Main tab for me, then every consultant has a tab where they can communicate with me, between themselves, and vice versa.

All communications stay in one place. :) tough to do, I know.

For PC, since I am a plan checker myself, we have minimum corrections, I just color code a copy of the actual letter, then, I upload to the drive for them to address, I expect them to make a copy with their responses in it. That then gets copied again for records and it is sent back to the ahj.

I was turned onto BLUE BEAM by one of the engineers I work with from time to time.  I  also have ADOBE ACROBAT, but once you learn your way around BLUE BEAM you will not want to go back, it was designed with CAD in mind and has many features that are geared toward collaboration with a team.  I would recommend you give it a look. 

I spoke with a FIELDWIRE guy about 30 minutes ago,  he is going to send us some vids to watch and then talk to us via phone early next week.  He compared his product to BLUE BEAM but easier to use.  

I appreciate the input R_seales,  it is sounding like ADOBE is not necessarily the way to go.

I still have an open mind.  This could be a very important decision that I will want to live with until I retire....  sometime in December....  i'm just not sure what year that will be.

I tried the trial of Adobe DC Pro recently and found I had a few problems, I have since updated my paid version of Foxit Phantom and all is well. It is also a lot cheaper than Adobe. I typically have around 150 pages of A4 "spec,etc) and the plans works well.

My biggest problem is having things in a file size that can be emailed ie no more than 18Mb file size.

So definitely looking at options as time allows.

I tried the trial of Adobe DC Pro recently and found I had a few problems, I have since updated my paid version of Foxit Phantom and all is well. It is also a lot cheaper than Adobe. I typically have around 150 pages of A4 "spec,etc) and the plans works well.

My biggest problem is having things in a file size that can be emailed ie no more than 18Mb file size.

So definitely looking at options as time allows.

Yep,   I  think foxit is a definite option,  my client and I are still searching.....

Graeme,

If you use Yahoo.com mail....... it has features that automatically move your files to Dropbox when beyond the normal size files accepted...(usually 20-25 max) program will ask for your permission and sends a link to the recipient.

Scott,

I might also consider  a good Database .... if you where using Microsoft...... Access would be what I might recommend........ although I think Mac can now use Access. Much more muscle with a true database.  SQL database would be the ultimate.....Bluebeam is a good program and may offer what you need.......

A quick follow up on this.  I appreciate all of the comments.  I have not had time to fully research all of the options,  however my Buddy has taken the time to review many different options,  and he is very excited about BLUE BEAM.  I think I will be downloading BLUE BEAM today and he and I will be working with it in the morning.

If you guys have any other comments,  they will be welcome.

After we have worked with it a bit,  I hope I will give you more info on what we have found.  

What I really like about Blue Beam is that you can zoom with the mouse wheel.  I just have Blue Beam View on my computer.  One of my business associates who does HVAC designs sends me his designs via Blue Beam invites for my review.