Wainscoting/molding

limitless8

Hey all!

So I'd like to ask for some advice/assistance from those pro's with more experience.  I am attaching two images to help explain what it is I am after for a client.  

In essence, the client wants many arches instead of doors within the house, but inside the actual arch itself, he'd want to see wainscoting/molding (not sure which would be the more appropriate in this case)

Has anybody attempted to recreate such things, if so could you be please so kind and explain to me how it can be done?

Big thanks to everybody ahead of time 

I know at chief all the pro's are a lot more friendly and cooperative than anywhere else!  

Limitless

post-4006-0-29722700-1477519381_thumb.jpg

post-4006-0-38603400-1477519382_thumb.jpg

This is going to be a challenge in CA - heck, a challenge in any CAD app but Chief probably a bit harder.  I was curious if I could get soffits to follow a rounded ceiling plane but that didn't work.  Another idea would be to create a custom modeling profile and use modeling lines.

This may be a question for Glenn/Scott.

• Like 1

I think this will be able to be done but as Johnny says it will be quite a challenge.  Draw an arc in cross section and Convert Curve to Polyline with lots of sides, and then convert to 3D Molding Polyline and assign a custom molding profile.  The tricky part will be drawing a custom angled molding profile for each horizontal placement to match the angle of the curve at each elevation level.  And I am not sure about the mitered corners in your second illustration. Good luck and be sure to post your results.  :)

post-4797-0-01531200-1477534283_thumb.jpg

Russian guy, goes by the name of Ithil, did a lot of that in Sketchup.  See some of his works at this page:  http://i-t-h-i-l.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24

I attached a snip of one that's there.  It might be easier to learn SU and do it in that than to try to stretch and bend Chief to do it.  

Or just have Ithil do it for you as a subcontractor.

post-55-0-22549000-1477538942_thumb.png

As the others have said, it wouldn't be particularly easy. 

But the Arch could be easily done as a Doorway (full arch) in a very thick wall with Casings and a Keystone.  The molding for the inside of the Arch would be a bit trickier but with the right molding profile and a few Molding Polylines it is doable.

Room Molding Polylines would handle most of the Base, Wainscot, Chair Rail and Crown Moldings.  Corner Boards can also be used at inside and outside corners - even on Interior Walls.

One thing is sure - once you've done it you will be an expert on the process.

Thanks for the tips Joe,  Not polished but with a little more work and a Ray Trace it would pass I think.  If there is Molding Polyline jockey out there I would still like to know how to properly miter vertical and horizontal 3D Molding Polylines together.  What is the trick?

post-4797-0-53946100-1477554158_thumb.jpg

If there is Molding Polyline jockey out there I would still like to know how to properly miter vertical and horizontal 3D Molding Polylines together.  What is the trick?

Chopsaw,

I am a bit confused with your question - can you explain in more detail.

Wow, barely anytime went by, and so many replies.  Thank you everybody, I knew this wouldn't be easy in Chief or any other program for that matter; to try and put it inside the curve.

I agree, if one would find a way to do it once, then you will become a guru at it for life.  I'm a play around with a few variations and see what happens, who knows something might come out of it.

Worst case scenario, I'll refer to my fellow countrymen (the russian as you said) and see if him and I can come to some understanding.

Thanks everybody again!

Thanks for the tips Joe,  Not polished but with a little more work and a Ray Trace it would pass I think.  If there is Molding Polyline jockey out there I would still like to know how to properly miter vertical and horizontal 3D Molding Polylines together.  What is the trick?

I see you managed to actually get it done, how??

I was messing around and made that in Sketchup real quick and imported as a symbol just to see how it will look, in CA a door opening will have to be made first and some adjustments will needed...

It was made in CA 7 version 

Thank you so much Greg!  I guess I should download sketchup as well, seeing as it would be easier to create these custom symbols there and import them.  Thanks again!

Russian guy, goes by the name of Ithil, did a lot of that in Sketchup.  See some of his works at this page:  http://i-t-h-i-l.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24

I attached a snip of one that's there.  It might be easier to learn SU and do it in that than to try to stretch and bend Chief to do it.  

Or just have Ithil do it for you as a subcontractor.

I went to Ithil's site out of curiosity. That guy is good!!! He seems to have the entire process down from concept to presentation. Some of his renderings looked real-life to me. And just think, he is not an "old" guy, like me, at all. Smart and talented kid.

Mike

BTW, you guys on here aren't so shabby yourselves! ;)

Chopsaw,

I am a bit confused with your question - can you explain in more detail.

Hi, Glenn the problem is when drawing the panel in the top of the doorway arch you are forced to draw the curved part of the 3D Molding Polyline in an elevation view parallel with the wall that the doorway is in but then the straight parts are drawn in a separate elevation view perpendicular to the wall in the center of the doorway.  Then there seems to be no way to join the two 3D Molding Polylines such that you get the appearance of a proper miter in the corner.

It seems as though Greg had the same issue in Sketchup from what I see in his post with the vector illustration.  As the profile gets more detailed this becomes more of an issue.

I see you managed to actually get it done, how??

Limitless,  I see now that I made a big mistake of doing my test plan in X8.  Most of the procedure has now been posted in this thread but if you run into difficulties I do have a copy of X7 and will try to help.  Just need to find a time when we are both awake and can Skype.  The weather is the same in Moscow today but you are 7 hours ahead of me.  Maybe your evening time would work.

Nice work Chop, you're getting pretty stinkin' good at this!

I don't currently have the time or inclination to mess with this right now, but here's a quick tip that may or may not come in handy for this type of thing.

The arched "lid" is really the most difficult part IMO. You can potentially simplify things for yourself by turning that into a completely vertical surface. Consider converting the archway or even the entire plan into a symbol. Then you can flip the whole thing onto its side, draw your moldings, convert those molding to a symbol, and then drop that symbol back into your plan.

Just a thought.

Hi, Glenn the problem is when drawing the panel in the top of the doorway arch you are forced to draw the curved part of the 3D Molding Polyline in an elevation view parallel with the wall that the doorway is in but then the straight parts are drawn in a separate elevation view perpendicular to the wall in the center of the doorway.  Then there seems to be no way to join the two 3D Molding Polylines such that you get the appearance of a proper miter in the corner.

It seems as though Greg had the same issue in Sketchup from what I see in his post with the vector illustration.  As the profile gets more detailed this becomes more of an issue.

Limitless,  I see now that I made a big mistake of doing my test plan in X8.  Most of the procedure has now been posted in this thread but if you run into difficulties I do have a copy of X7 and will try to help.  Just need to find a time when we are both awake and can Skype.  The weather is the same in Moscow today but you are 7 hours ahead of me.  Maybe your evening time would work.

Chopsaw, Just got in and I'm afraid today won't be able to skype, maybe saturday/sunday; or during the week next week.  Yeah Halloween came with some snow, which I'll take any day over shabby rain and clouds...

Hmm need to find this comrade of mine and take a look at his renderings and all.  one of my skypes is : limitless.trading@mail.ru

I looked at Ithil's designs, and my oh my impressive.  I wonder if it would be possible to achieve the same level renders in chief.  BTW from what I read, Ithil does the sketchup design, and another graphics designer renders the images for him.  

Thanks to those who provided advice and encouragement the hard part is now finished.  Added some Polyline Solids and Solids to the mix of 3D Molding Polylines and got er done.  

Fabulous work! Now we all know it's not doable but that there is an expert we can consult when it comes to these hard tasks ;)

No, Sorry rich it won't look great in Vector view but if you like you could ray trace it for me. All I did was cut a cove in the end of each of the horizontal pieces with the Boolean tools and matched them up as best I could with all the weird angles. Not a true miter but still open to suggestions. Really appreciate the complements, thanks.