Room over 1-sty garage attached to 2-sty house

mslewis620

X6 current user - having trouble setting room defaults for garage only to allow a room under roof with a lowered ceiling.

1st- 10' clgs

2nd - 9' clgs - 6/12 roof

Garage - 12' plate height max with 16/12 roof - common is this urban setting

Trying to create master closet above part of garage - want to lower ceiling in garage to 10' to match rest of house. With 16/12 it's possible to quickly get a nice size closet out of the space.

No matter what I do it pops back to something I don't want. I've manually manipulated a lot of the roof/ceiling so in cross section it appears to be ok but when I check the defaults it's giving me a 10' absolute elevation which is not what I want. 

I'm sure it's something obvious but I can't figure it out and don't want to spend the whole day on it. Plan is in the rough stage but I like to nail this part down now rather than later. Need square footage to show subs etc.

2732 Amherst Plan.plan

I checked out one of the videos, but There is a new format to access them now, so I don't know the video number. It showed a single room structure. You can still build a story (half) over the existing garage and use the described technique. Actually, it demonstrated (3) ways to do it. I think I typed in "one and a half story" in the search in the online videos. 

Very trivial. On the second floor, turn reference on and draw "garage "attic walls" [using exterior walls tool]. When done, CA will display dashed lines to show where you can have 9' interior walls. For a closet I would lower ceiling height to 8' to get more closet space.

post-4512-0-41225300-1477265738_thumb.jpg

Very trivial. On the second floor, turn reference on and draw "garage "attic walls" [using exterior walls tool]. When done, CA will display dashed lines to show where you can have 9' interior walls. For a closet I would lower ceiling height to 8' to get more closet space.

attachicon.gifSecondstory.jpg

I think so, with these walls, you have the second floor to work with, and looks like the right levels to me.

But, how does lowering the ceiling get more closet space ?  Confused there.

post-138-0-58443200-1477281313_thumb.jpg

I opened your plan in X7, went to second floor plan, turned on for view all the attic walls, and unchecked "no room definition" so they would define your space.

You can put rooms in it however you want and define room parameters to get the finishes, ceiling heights, etc., that you want.

post-55-0-07175900-1477321375_thumb.png

post-55-0-76076100-1477321400_thumb.png