Roof Framing and Rafter Tail/Sub Fascia Heights Question

HumbleChief

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

Simple and have done it a thousand times, even works as expected on a new template plan, but this plan wants to keep the rafters the same depth through the eaves and gables even with the eave and gable sub fascia depth set to be smaller.

I would expect this behavior below and by adjusting the sub fascia height the rafter tail and fascia height changes.

post-302-0-45860000-1477235176_thumb.png

Instead no matter the sub fascia height, you can see it's set to be smaller than the 2 x 12 rafters, the rafters continue at the same depth, ignoring the sub fascia depth. I'm sure it's simple but can't seem to get it fixed.

post-302-0-19621100-1477235354_thumb.png

This might work for the plan file. Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73xkm0o55lpmmvt/BETRIX%2030.plan?dl=0

Larry, Is there any chance you missed the "Trim Framing To Soffits" option under the Structure tab of the Roof Plane DBX?

Sorry I don't have time for the plan file right now but that would be the first thing to check.

• Upvote 1

Larry:

In a test plan, I can build the rafter tails as you show in your first image.  I haven't been able to do that with your plan in X8 ... not sure why at this time.  Probably something very simple.  Those are the kind you lose your hair over.

Larry:

In a test plan, I can build the rafter tails as you show in your first image.  I haven't been able to do that with your plan in X8 ... not sure why at this time.  Probably something very simple.  Those are the kind you lose your hair over.

Yeah same experience here - seems like I've done it a thousand times and yeah something simple but it's got me good.

• Solution

Hi Larry, I found some time for you and think I have most of it figured out.  There are still many other small issues with the plan that I am sure you are aware of but the rafters need to have a soffit if they are going to trim automatically. So I chose a soffit for you and the other problem was possibly that nothing you tried would work because you were using the roof sheeting as soffit layered under the rafters.  Pretty Tricky, you must be practicing being scary for Halloween.  If you have any questions or need a little more help let me know.

Chopsaw.

post-4797-0-94415700-1477271487_thumb.jpg

BETRIX 30 Choped.plan

• Upvote 1

Hi Larry, I found some time for you and think I have most of it figured out.  There are still many other small issues with the plan that I am sure you are aware of but the rafters need to have a soffit if they are going to trim automatically. So I chose a soffit for you and the other problem was possibly that nothing you tried would work because you were using the roof sheeting as soffit layered under the rafters.  Pretty Tricky, you must be practicing being scary for Halloween.  If you have any questions or need a little more help let me know.

Chopsaw.

Thanks Chop, I'll check it out in the morning.

Thanks Chop,

I can see what I did to create the situation and adding the soffit and trimming to the soffit worked - in most cases. The 2 roof planes over the entry way still don't behave correctly but I'm working on it with the same settings and they want to keep the 2 x 12 all the way through the rafter tails. These roofs do extend over a room defining the entry area, I wonder of that's the difference between these 2 roof planes and why they won't trim the rafters to the sub fascia height?

But then....it all works fine now...dunno...but thanks so much for taking your time to help!!

• 3 months later...

Sorry to be late to the party........really late.....but I just did a search on this problem and it led me here.

I am having the same issue on a remodel design I am working on and was wondering if you could elaborate a bit more on what caused the issue with the 2x12 rafters not trimming on some roof planes and trimming to the fascia on others?

The sub-fascia controls the depth of the exposed overhang rafter area but does not control the ridges and hips ( ridges and hips are really just ridges in the DBX). This in my mind is wrong of Chief to lump them all into one item called ridges. They should be separate. For me, they are not the same sizes most of the time. Ridges and hip are structural and a 2x just won't work. Just make your rafters a 2x6 and ridge a 2x12 and you will see that they don't clip on the outside or the inside, they will show up in the camera views, inside and out. So to fix that for the camera views I have to make my ridges to match the rafters. Of course, we all know it's not built that way. Pleas Chief give us control of the ridges and hips to have separate control for each one. I have asked for a lot of years now.

Perry-

Thanks for the response-

as you can see in the attached pic I am getting a different result from one roof plane to the other -

I have checked the sub-fascia and it is the same on both planes.

Compared all of the other suspects I can think of also-  trim to soffits, structure setting , etc...

Just not sure what is going on.

Would be happy to post the plan if someone would have a look

Untitled 2.jpg

Not sure what exactly you're showing in the screenshot you posted, but you didn't have any framing in the plan, so I built framing and the only place I see a problem is at those valley/ridges as Perry mentioned.  They were easily fixed by properly joining those roof planes. 

Join.png

Michael-

Thank for having a look-

I think the roof you are looking at is the one over the front porch which was behaving properly in my plan.

The roof on the opposite side is the on that is creating the issue.

What I was showing in the screen shot id the difference in the trimmed tails on the right to the full tails on the left.

Capture.PNG

15 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

Michael-

Thank for having a look-

I think the roof you are looking at is the one over the front porch which was behaving properly in my plan.

The roof on the opposite side is the on that is creating the issue.

What I was showing in the screen shot id the difference in the trimmed tails on the right to the full tails on the left.

Capture.PNG

You should probably attach a plan that actually includes framing.  The section of roof you are showing behaves exactly the same for me as the section I showed in my screenshot. 

23 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

I thought I had auto built roof framing in the earlier version I posted.

It is in this version.

SMITH_ADDITION_7TH_IDEA.plan

your room dividers were located to the outer line of the deck I moved them under the out looker beams and made that room separate from the deck room, then it framed ok. you may have to add the side deck that I took away

here is your plan fixed

SMITH_ADDITION_7TH_IDEA.plan

Perry-

Thanks much for the work on this plan.

Makes sense that it would be something like that since it was only on the one side.

Unfortunately I am still working in X8.

I will try moving the room dividers in my version and se if I can get it straightened out.

Again - much appreciated for the help.