Decorative Spanish style parapet wall

ajrare

I'm away from my computer but it may depend on what order you draw in Johnny. It may take a little trial and error but you should be able to get it to work. A few additional tips and suggestions.

-You may need to actually break the wall in plan view and you may need to create a copy of your wall type for the stepped sections.

-You may need to draw the stepped sections AFTER the arched section, and again...you may want to do so with a copy of the wall type.

-Maybe try using additional sections of flat roof to create the steps.

-You can also create the arch by drawing an arc in elevation at the appropriate location, converting the arc to a polyline, and then breaking and reshaping the wall to match that polyline. Won't be as auto as the roof method but probably a little easier and more stable for most people.

Not sure what you mean by the curved roof method requiring a cap.

Did one of these not too long ago. Tried shaping the wall in elevation but Chief won't allow a curve as you have probably learned. I used a curved roof to get the arch but this only works if your arch is a constant radius, though you can use multiple roofs if you have a more complex shape. Would REALLY be nice if Chief had more flexible wall shaping tools!

If it is constant then define your curved roof and place at the proper height but make sure the rest of the parapet 'floor' has a roof over it the structure dbx, that way an attic wall will fill in above the wall and below the curved roof. Position the curved roof accurately then break the wall in elevation for any vert. or horiz. cuts you may need to make.

As you'll see in the vid I couldn't get Chief to display properly in elevation without the roof and I think this is a bug that I will send in as a report shortly but either way I hope this helps you out.

Here's a couple more quick tips guys...

-Forget about the attic wall.  Its not necessary unless you want it for some reason.  Set your wall to balloon through ceiling above.

-Also, you can use the roof to get your arch and then all you have to do is make one minor change to the top profile of your wall in a 3D view and the roof can be deleted.  You could then revert whatever that minor change was.  The roof will essentially do automatically what I had suggested doing above using an arc converted to a polyline. 

Here's a couple more quick tips guys...

-Forget about the attic wall.  Its not necessary unless you want it for some reason.  Set your wall to balloon through ceiling above.

-Also, you can use the roof to get your arch and then all you have to do is make one minor change to the top profile of your wall in a 3D view and the roof can be deleted.  You could then revert whatever that minor change was.  The roof will essentially do automatically what I had suggested doing above using an arc converted to a polyline. 

Thanks Michael, Like I said in the video it's good to post stuff so the smart guys will chime in. Not sure I really understand the second part of your post. What minor change are you referring to? Can you get the line between the attic wall (assuming one were used) and the parapet wall to not appear in elevation view when the roof is deleted?

Even with balloon through ceiling above that line between floors comes and goes in elevation view with the roof showing then turned off. EDIT: Just got that to work in elevation view but still really awkward.

"-You can also create the arch by drawing an arc in elevation at the appropriate location, converting the arc to a polyline, and then breaking and reshaping the wall to match that polyline."

I was never able to get a wall top to curve. What am I missing?

Thanks Michael, Like I said in the video it's good to post stuff so the smart guys will chime in. Not sure I really understand the second part of your post. What minor change are you referring to? Can you get the line between the attic wall (assuming one were used) and the parapet wall to not appear in elevation view when the roof is deleted?

Even with balloon through ceiling above that line between floors comes and goes in elevation view with the roof showing then turned off. EDIT: Just got that to work in elevation view but still really awkward.

I was never able to get a wall top to curve. What am I missing?

Here's a quick video. Hopefully this answers your questions...

https://youtu.be/iFlzxT-gOPw

NOTE: I typically like to try to find the most efficient way to do something before making a video but I didn't spend much time on this one. I was just trying to get it done so I could get out the door. I'm thinking I probably didn't need to place the breaks underneath that arch quite so accurately and that there is probably a snap setting I could have toggled off to get those breaks to snap to the temporary points a lot easier. Anyway, it could definitely be improved upon. Hopefully it will at least give you the general idea though.

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much Michael for taking your time to create the video. So interesting to see the methods someone else uses to solve problems and something I've never tried before. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future - thanks again.

...and I'm thinking that should be enough info for the OP to get the job done.