Dimensioning angled walls

olyconstruction

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Hi Chiefs!

I am working on this as built with a lot of angled walls and I am having a lot of trouble dimensioning those walls that are angled. I want the dimensions to pull away from the wall parallel, but they always seem to come off at this weird sort of slant (see screen shots).

Is there a good way to dimension this? It seems CA does not very friendly with angled walls.

Thanks a bunch!

AB

post-4666-0-42470900-1477073291_thumb.jpg

post-4666-0-11029600-1477073292_thumb.jpg

One needs to imagine oneself on the jobsite with a pencil, tape measure, chalkline, and the floor deck under your feet.  The length of a wall means little unless you are just using it as a check to see whether you have your end points right.  Think "end points" and figure on doing your dimensions to define them.

So if I give a skew dimensions (done with point to point) I label it "ref."  To be sure, I dimension the end points in both x and y.  And I always make whatever adjustments to the walls are required to ensure those dimensions fractions are no finer than 1/4".

• Upvote 1

You can also place cad lines perpendicular to the wall and dimension to those instead of the wall layer.  I snap the line to the wall intersection point then move it to the closest 1/8" increment.  You still need to use the parallel tool for the dimension line.