Help building walls in post frame building

DaViper

I probably got started wrong with this but the plan is a post frame building with interior buildout.  I generated a ceiling plane to create the roof trusses correctly.  Now that I am trying to apply interior walls, they are coming in too tall or sometimes making very odd features at the top of the wall trying to follow the top of something.  They are not going all the way up to the ceiling plane. 

What I am trying to do is generate a single partition wall all the way from floor to roof line across the whole building at one of the truss lines.  Then apply 9ft interior walls within an area, and set a second story floor over those. 

Do I need to somehow generate a ceiling plane for the first floor at my desired height?  How can I do that since I already have my ceiling plane defined for the trusses?  That change will likely change the trusses. 

I tried building just 4 walls in the area and double clicking to edit the height but the walls will not come down.  Sometimes it will even generate only parts on the top of the wall, but not the lower areas. 

EDIT:  It seems I must have made the entire building into a room or CA auto generated that.  Is that going to cause issues?  If so, how can I change that?  after double clicking within the building, the room spec window showed up showing the same height as my walls were being built to so I changed that and seems to be better for now. 

EDIT:  well, it seems to be building walls correctly other than the one line where I tried to create a floor to roof wall.  If I create any wall connecting to that, it takes the wall up and does odd things at the top.  I know when I was trying to generate the wall, I deleted a couple things and got errors that I was deleting something that would not be regenerated.  How can I fix that?

Is there a way to correct what I have now?  I am too far along to start over.  It seems whenever I tried to generate that big partition wall, I did something.  All walls are generating to the right height but when I mess with that partition wall, things go whacky.  I would not care if I had to generate a lower wall, then an upper wall. 

From what you've said, I can only guess that this is an industrial building.

1.  Set your 1st Floor Height as 9'

2.  Create a 2nd Floor with a Height (including Floor Structure depth) to reach the bottom of the trusses. (Since there's no real 2nd Floor, you can make the structure a 0" depth)

3.  Click on the entire 2nd Floor area and set the Room Type to "Open Below"

4.  Draw the Demising Wall on both Floor Levels.

5.  For the Rooms in the "Build Out" set the Room Type to "Office", "Kitchen", "Bath", etc and make sure each has "Ceiling Above".

6.  Go back to the areas above the "Build Out" and make their Room Types "Unspecified"

By adding the second floor, that seemed to have fixed the issue with the odd wall heights.  Thank you for that! 

One issue I still have is getting all my framing members to display on the second floor set.  All layers are toggled on but will not display.  It seems to bring in the exterior walls but not the columns, trusses, etc.  I am sure I have missed a setting somewhere?

OK, you should be able to use the linky.  http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g5f348f8eedf0768b999887573407c281e8457e75a

Here are a few questions or issues I have. 

1.  Need to generate the large partition wall from floor to roof at the 36ft mark where the roof truss is. 

2.  I would like to know how I go about creating floor trusses between floors?  Never done that. 

Please take note that this is a quick rendering and there will probably be some layout issues.  Simply trying to play with a floor plan. 

Brandon,

That's not going to work.

Close your Plan

Zip it

In the Reply select "More Reply Options" at the lower right

Browse to the zipped file, Open, then click "Add to Post"

That will provide us with the actual Chief Plan File so we can help.  A PDF isn't going to be useful.

Well, just in the sake of progress, I basically have  a bunch of columns in the 'framing-posts' layer, and roof trusses in the 'framing-trusses' layer.  I have a concrete slab for the floor.  When I build the new level, I used the 'derive 2nd floor from first floor'.  It brings in the ext walls on the second floor, but nothing else.  I have those layers turned on, have tried to select a different layer set, you name it.  I am sure I am just missing a setting to allow all my wood members to be visible on the second floor? Or do I have other settings messed up?  I am not too familiar with the 'floor reference' menu but have tried about all of them. 

It sounds to me like you need to get some training and/or use the "Help" in Chief.

You will need to use the Framing Tools to create Framing, Trusses, etc.

As you found, just adding a 2nd Floor only adds the Exterior Walls.  Floor and/or Roof Trusses can be created and copied as needed. 

This is on a Floor by Floor basis - it's not just automatic.  The existence of a wall doesn't mean it's been "framed".  The existence of a Floor doesn't mean it's been "framed".  The existence of a Roof doesn't mean it's been "framed".  All of those things take extra steps.  Take a look at the "Build>Framing" menu item and step thru each thing for each floor.

Sorry, I have never worked with a second level.  I seemed to have got what I need with the edit/copy/paste features to get those features to move to the second level.  However, my next issue is getting this ceiling/floor figured out.  Only part of the building will get a second level.  Do I need to create invisible interior walls to build the floor structure over just that area?  When I create new walls on the second level, they generate with a space between levels for the floor structure. 

Shane,

I'm not sure how you fixed his Plan.  I found there was a problem in that he had created trusses and some roof joists on the 1st floor that didn't transfer to the 2nd floor.  I don't know if rebuilding the Roof or moving the Roof Planes up one Level will help or not.

Take a look at a 3D Framing Overview and you'll see what I mean.

Actually, I think the easiest way to fix his model might be to just make the 1st Floor 20' tall, eliminate the 2nd Floor and define the Ceiling Structure above the build-out to drop the ceiling in that area.