From Revit to CA - Dimensions are a Headache

Anna_Gorres

A newer graduate (2nd career, so not a young graduate), we used Revit for all class projects, and it is what I used for the first year after graduation. I am currently using CA Premier X8, per my new employer/contract.

We work on anything from new builds to remodels. So where I dimension to (framing layer vs wall face vs window opening vs center of window) constantly changes. Not only are the floor plan dimensions inefficient, they don't always seem to work. What am I missing? What do you do (create multiple dimension types)?

• Sometimes the dimension won't grab onto anything. I'm left using a point to point, which is inefficient if you are trying to move this around to match specific dimensions. 
  • I always seem to have to pull the marker to where I want that dimension to pull from. Inefficient and leaves too much room for human error.
  • Dimensions in elevations and cross sections are a joke. Again, inefficient and leaves too much room for human error.
  • I miss the ability to lock items in Revit. If I needed something to say in a specific spot, I could lock it and if by doing other things in Revit, things that would normally automatically change or move that item, I would get a message. 

I've watched various videos on You Tube, CA Training Videos, and ChiefTutor. Is there something you've done that was helpful? A book, a seminar, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I miss the ability to lock items in Revit. If I needed something to say in a specific spot, I could lock it and if by doing other things in Revit, things that would normally automatically change or move that item, I would get a message

Anna:

yep, this is an issue with Chief

while you can lock the layer which then prevents you from moving the object

if you take actions that cause Chief to decide to move the object there are no warning messages

Lew

Use annotation sets (anno sets). Each can have it's own dimension defaults, which in turn can have different "locate objects" and be associated with a layer set. For instance- new framing-locates framing  and is on appropriate layer, cabinets wall-locates wall cabinets, surface, and casings-the layer set hides base cabinet and fixtures so does not dimension to those..like that.

They are complicated to set up, a bit to learn, but very powerful. Annosets have other uses as well. Worth the effort.