Split Taperd Column

Flymase

Go to solution Solved by johnny,

I'm having trouble creating a half tapered column. I managed to create a split rectangle column but can't to seem to figure out the best approach to do the same for a tapered column. Has anyone else accomplished this task?

post-9779-0-75812900-1476832549_thumb.png

post-9779-0-95040700-1476832550_thumb.png

No, he wants half tapered column.

Use a 2d molding (molding shape drawn in elevation), that is one way.... if I wanted, I could probably come up with at 3 more ways to do it........ Boolean operation. (Yech), Or use a full column and by redefining the "plane" (I forget the correct terminology) Location, it can be resized. (Not perfect), hmmmmmm...... not sure if I can think of a fourth without taxing my brain........

Draw profile of half in elevation with pline solid, move it so that the straight edge is at absolute 0, 0. Convert to solid, explode to faces, delete the faces you don't want (keep the one that is at 0,0) ; select it, revolve the object around the Z axis-180 degrees.

Glenn has a video on here somewhere-that's how I managed these.

post-85-0-65731900-1476835837_thumb.png

Draw profile of half in elevation with pline solid, move it so that the straight edge is at absolute 0, 0. Convert to solid, explode to faces, delete the faces you don't want (keep the one that is at 0,0) ; select it, revolve the object around the Z axis-180 degrees.

Glenn has a video on here somewhere-that's how I managed these.

Glenn's video can be found in this thread (which might hold some other valuable information as well)...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/9422-primitive-modeling/?fromsearch=1

• Solution

I could be reading the OP's request wrong, but what I think he needs to do is simply make the column as he needs it (full version) from a solid, and then make another block of primitive to cover 1/2 the column and then do a subtraction of the solid to get 1/2 the column. 

Here is an example of what I think you may be after....

I could be reading the OP's request wrong, but what I think he needs to do is simply make the column as he needs it (full version) from a solid, and then make another block of primitive to cover 1/2 the column and then do a subtraction of the solid to get 1/2 the column.

He's a genius. I knew there was a fourth way.