Any CA members in the East TN area willing to teach basics?

JECORMIER

Hey Everyone!

Just wondering if there is another CA member that lives within an hour or two from Knoxville, (Even as far as Nashville,TN) that would be willing to help me along in the beginning? I'm willing to drive and pay for your time of course. I've got to get up to speed as fast as I can and I believe one-on-one's would be the best way for me to learn.

Southern KY, Western NC (Asheville) or Northern GA (Atlanta even) are not out of the question either.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

JC

Hey Drawzilla-

Thanks for the heads-up on the Chief one on one training. I am aware of that, but I was looking more for in-person training.

Again, thanks for the help.

JC

Here is a tip,  do not count on one on one training in the same location.  It will not work.  You might think it will work,  but I guarantee it will not work EFFICIENTLY. 

My suggestion would be to find someone  who will do remote  (i.e.  ON LINE TRAINING).  CA can do this for you and there are also users who will do it with you.

Do not count on one on one training in the same location....  if you do not believe me,  ask if anyone has successfully completed one on one training in the same location/room.  

One final tip,  20 hours of one on one training will not be enough.  It is an on going learning experience.  I think 16 hours of training would get you up and running with the basic "how to get started",  but the best place to learn is monitoring this site......  an option would be to utilize CHIEFTUTOR.COM. or CA's tutoring.

In-person training will not work efficiently.

Isn't that one on one training that Chief gives, one on one remotely not in person? Scott do you still give training that way

Yes,  I do remote training.

When it comes to training,  I think the most important thing to teach is how to work  with   ANNO,  LAYER AND REF SETS and how to set up the SAM/TEMPLATE method.  I believe whoever I teach will get the most bang for their buck if this is taught first.

If I have teach someone how to draw a wall or a roof,  which I can,  is really stuff that someone who is truly interested in learning how to use CA can learn on their own......  to a certain point.

I recently read that someone  (I think it was Terry),  was having a difficult time drawing a wall.....  jeez....  Perry,  you and I know that when we started using CA 11 years ago,  we learned how to draw a wall in about 2.2 seconds......  

I took a lot of remote tutoring from at least 5 very experienced users......  and I do not think they were able to teach me something where I said...  "eureka!!!  I get it".   If they had taught me  ANNO,  LAYER AND REF SETS and how to set up the SAM/TEMPLATE method......  I might of said  "eureka!!!  I get it".

I know we all have to start somewhere,  however I have a feeling that most new users think they only need 2 hours of training......  it ain't gunna happen.

The ANNO,  LAYER AND REF SETS and how to set up the SAM/TEMPLATE method is the most important info anybody can learn.  

We do workshops every month or two,  and we all know how little we actually learn,  however what we learn in these workshops are very important bricks in the wall.

There is just too much to learn that to believe the learning process takes 1 or 2 days is not realistic.  

For you guys that play Bridge,  you know what I mean,  It it a lifetime learning process.

I love it when some DIYer says.....  "I have done a the hard work,  I just need somebody to put it together so I can pull permits".  I bet there has never been a DIYer who has produced a preliminary set of plans that does not need to be reworked from the ground up.....  and I am not even taking into account any possible redesign considerations.

Excuse me while i step down from my soap box.........   oops.....  I tripped again getting down from the soap box.

• Upvote 2

DSHALL-

Great points! I agree with you that getting the templates, preferences, anno's, layers and defaults set are critical to a solid working foundation. Thank you for your guidance. If you have the time I would certainly take you up on your tutoring.

Please let me know your availability and pricing.

Thank you-

JC

My email is jecormier10@gmail.com for further our conversation.

..... "I have done a the hard work, I just need somebody to put it together so I can pull permits".

I have seen this recently, told the person, I would have to re-draw the whole thing, never heard from him again, he didn't want to pay my price. he said it was 90% complete--not. It's just too much trouble to pick up and finish anyone else's plans  b/c they just don't have all the setup that you have, and I would be fumbling around trying to figure out how someone else did it. Much quicker just to re-draw

I am also interested in online tutoring, I was hoping for 4 hours a week. I am familiar with Annotation defaults as well as Layout and reference sets and the efficiency you get when you set them up. I am not quite sure what Sam/Template refers to though, but I would like to know!

I think I would be correct to say I know the basics of CA, but I am kind of on my own here trying to learn how to make the most of Chief and I do have a steady stream of questions and problems I can not figure out by myself which I think a tutor could have steady work helping me out with.

Mr. Hall please e-mail me too if you would with more information about your tutoring services. Anyone else who can offer tutoring services is strongly encouraged to contact me as well. 

drafting@olyconstruction.com   :)

Thanks so much!

Great.  Now I feel intimidated about asking for help on a plan I developed that ended up being much more involved than originally planned.  I have a client who wants me to produce construction documents, I am not geared to doing that nor do I feel that I have enough Chief Architect chops.  Although I have been using CA for 4 years and feel fairly proficient in what I do, I primarily work on interior redesign/kitchens/baths.

I thought I could find someone via this forum that could either tutor me through it or simply produce the pieces I am missing (framing plans, foundation plan, sections and a few schedules).  Sounds like from the above comments that my plan probably won't be adequate to work from.  Not sure how to proceed from here :unsure:  I'm not opposed to learning additional skills and am proud of the house plan I developed but starting from scratch isn't an option since it's time sensitive.

CKD,

You should post your plan file so we can look at it. 

Is your project new construction or a remodel? Either way I am sure you can figure out how to get it to construction documents. You might want a home designer or someone to double check it for you to see if there are any errors, but all the information you need to generate framing and foundation will be in the plan file you are working with already. Schedules are relatively simple too. 

Admittedly I am a rookie myself, but just to get the things you are talking about will not require someone to redraw everything in order to help you or even finish a project. I think to the seasoned CA user may be pigeonholed by their own experience, and do not have the patients to work outside their own hotkeys and defaults. I am sure you could figure it out or get help if you want!

AB

Frankly I think the biggest downfall of chief architect that the templates it comes with are not particularly very good. 

And I question some of the defaults...

Having good SAM plan and a matching layout will save months of learning. 

In my opinion, instead of goofy "best kitchen" contest: CA should make best way to documented a plan contest without going overboard and

producing and pointless pages.