Scaling Textures to Objects

wayneseymour01

I am having difficulty getting a texture I downloaded to fit exactly to a equally sized object.

issue: I have a image of a tile that I resized to be 8X10 and I then created a poly solid the same size but when I add the material to the object it does not fit. I set the size in the define material dialog but it still tiles the texture on the object.

Its not the best quality image I know but I just needed it to fit to the poly solid of the same 8X10 size. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

post-2631-0-83948400-1476428127_thumb.jpg

Ya, I think this should probably be considered a bug and fixed.  You should report this to tech support as I don't believe it should work that way.  You can fix the problem by placing a very small gap between your copies though...looks more realistic to me like that anyway, and if you go that route you can also add a grout line. 

If you are going for 3D realism, which I guess you are, try using an array of material regions all 8x10, each with your image as texture.  Do a whole array of them on the floor, spaced as they will be, sitting just proud of the floor surface it cuts, the floor surface being your grout surface.

You won't spend as much time as the tile setter, but almost, 'cause you will need to figure out what to do for the inevitable edge cuts.

Your photo shows light reflecting in an area.  If you are being paid by the hour to do a totally photorealistic render, you might want to consider photographing a dozen of the tiles in a studio setting, so as to get totally flat lighting on them, and use all twelve to create that many different textures, so you can try to randomize.  Just like what the tile setter will do.

I hang out at the Sketchucation website to see in the Gallery section what some of the pros are able to get with render realism.  Here is a thread where a guy put a week into a kitchen render that has photorealism going on in the floor tile part.  http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=59221&p=538811&hilit=tile+floor#p538811