Door height default

JECORMIER

Hey CA People....Thank you for being here! Such a great resource.

Got a couple of quick questions about door heights.

1. In the Doors defaults dialogue box it gives you 3 choices, Absolute, From Floor and From Finished Floor. What is the common default designers would use to set their doors? Major difference between carpet and 3/4" hardwood. Do I need to change the height for each doorway each time I change floor coverings? Can't be! I find that if I do not set my doors to the "From Finished Floor" default I end up with the door sitting below that level of the finished floor (With Hardwood Flooring...See attached dwg).

I assume I would use the "From Floor" option in a garage or deck area and the "Absolute"...Well, why even have it as an option?

2. The casing around both sides of both the exterior and interior doors wrap all the way around below the door threshold. How do I remove that bottom piece below the threshold and have the casing terminate at the floor?

3. Don't exterior doorways usually come with a metal threshold? How can I show this for materials etc, or is it even an option in CA?

Again, thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

JC

post-5538-0-22636100-1476388144_thumb.png

Chief's door tools have improved, but still lack detail and options when it comes to the sill/threshold.  Same for windows, BTW.

You'll probably be happiest with the look by setting the elevation base as from finished floor, and then using a bottom offset of 3/4".  It looks more like actual build condition then.

No, you can't get a sloped threshold.  You cannot get an anodized aluminum threshold.  You cannot get an adjustable-height oak piece under the door.  You cannot get a door sweep gasket.  You cannot get weatherstripping in the jambs.

The Rolling Stones said it best.  You can't always get what you want.  But you get what you need.  Amazingly, fine homes are getting built everywhere using Chief-drawn construction documents.

post-55-0-35693800-1476391534_thumb.png

post-55-0-78582400-1476391552_thumb.png

I always set my ext. doors up 3/4" threshold on top a piece of 3/4" PLY or OSB on top of subfloor under the door threshold so when the finished floor is installed on the inside, the door sweep will clear an entrance mat or rug place in front of the door. I just make a note on the plan.

Thanks Shane for got to mention to add 3/4" to door height RO. I am seeing a lot of exterior doors with 1" jams and I now callout widths 2 3/4" over door call out size and also add "check with the builder". Always easier to shrink the RO than make it bigger.