REVIT USER

Triguy

1 hour ago, Jonnoxx said:

Totally agree!

CA's training videos are really excellent - especially the new ones for X8.  The lady giving these is obviously very knowledgeable and confident with the software, and has a really nice tone and way of explaining and helpfully suggesting good practices and useful points.

Having Ms Awsome :wub: spend an hour (or two?) just on the SINGLE subject of setting floor heights, and covering all the construction-types of floors and wall intersections (esp upper concrete floors and brick walls on 2nd and 3rd etc) without the rest of the house structure suddenly springing out of kilter, could be one of the most valuable EVER for the newbies. 

And then go through analyzing as many examples of bad problems that users can inadvertently create for themselves - and (the most important part) how to quickly fix 'em.

For an example, the problem given recently by ecampos under Foundation and Terrain in the Chatroom, and the really simple and very insightful solution by glennw

Seems an absolute no-brainer.

Strong hint to CA - Can you organize this video ASAP?  Like yesterday next week?? -_-

Concur. As EXCELLENT as all the CA videos are this seems to be a really big puzzle piece missing to get people up and running with the least amount of confusion.

Perhaps i'm by myself in realization that DIY versions of the app is most likely to blame for holding Chief Premier back (my perspective as a pro-user) from using the majority of the yearly resources to invest in "pro-only" tools (expansion or new).  Its not even as if Chief is developing separate products for each market - its generally the SAME product with feature differences.

I also recognize Chief has benefited from this development viewpoint, but Id say it feels like they are languishing now.  X8 was great, but really this app hasn't had a lot major improvements since I started using it.  Lots of eye-candy, which is cool but Chief is really falling behind in the modeling of the structure/details.  When I first was viewing Chief 5 years ago they wow-ed me with the details....and now, its actually awful compared to other BIM apps that are getting very detailed in their structure sections.

• Upvote 1

I think X9 sneak peek information shows that more important things have been added to make our 3d modeling easier. I like the niche tool, cupboard counter top overhangs to all sides, cupboard doors and draws shown open. The short room ceiling etc are all good for the product for interior design. When you look at the categories CA caters for, everyone gets a specific improvement they need. For structure the sill plate set down is good too. I could go on but waiting on XX and future versions we all have to wiegh up the resources we spend on CAD product's too see if we are investing wisely. There are a few things I like about Revit a some things I don't like about it. In the end we all have limited time to make an analysis of the software we will choose and we can't know all the positives and negatives before we buy and try it out. 

Niche tools and more 3D view options are cool but in my opinion Chief is already really good in that area. I wish they would work on the construction docs side of things. Grid bubble tool... It's inconceivable that this does not exist! It needs to be viewable on all floors just like cameras. This is my number one complaint that you can't have a layer that is viewed on all floors. As a structural engineer grids are essential. I need to be able to reference them in my calcs (example: Roof beam along grid A)

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, brian-sdesign said:

Niche tools and more 3D view options are cool but in my opinion Chief is already really good in that area. I wish they would work on the construction docs side of things. Grid bubble tool... It's inconceivable that this does not exist! It needs to be viewable on all floors just like cameras. This is my number one complaint that you can't have a layer that is viewed on all floors. As a structural engineer grids are essential. I need to be able to reference them in my calcs (example: Roof beam along grid A)

+1

1 hour ago, brian-sdesign said:

100% agree - but since a grid tool has little use for a DIY version Chief has said these ideas may not receive the same attention a feature that benefits all its versions would.  This is exactly why we get so many updates heavy with eye candy, and will likely continue that way for the foreseeable future.  X10 may be my last Chief version (i hope its not)...but I see very clearly whats shaped Chief to this point, and I believe I might be better severed with a "pro" only app.  As Richard pointed to that is a decision we all have to make....there is no way to force Chief to change.

• Upvote 1

Well I complain a lot but I'm not going anywhere. I just bought a second seat of chief. The bummer is I still do all my framing and other structural plans on autocad LT after exporting the walls. Between general Annotation tools and grids it's much faster on autocad for the time being. If chief added some basic improvements I could see potentially changing that. 

21 hours ago, dshall said:

Of course if we had an MMRLS this would be a no-brainer.,  easy peasey.

It might even be easier peasier if more than a select few knew what MMRLS stood for and the potential it contains, then perhaps more people would make a suggestion in the suggestion forum and the much vaunted MMRLS would become a reality. I am personally not exactly sure what the acronym stands for but the essence (please correct me) is currently there is a single reference floor one can use and it must be used as defined and only as defined, i.e. first floor references second floor, or first floor references third floor etc. What MMRLS would do is allow for Multiple reference layers (that's what one of those capital 'M's stands for) so a floor could reference many floors at once, or show any datum on all floors for example. A no brainer and a feature that is long, long over due. Still trying to figure out the acronym...:P

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

......What MMRLS would do is allow for Multiple reference layers (that's what one of those capital 'M's stands for) so a floor could reference many floors at once, or show any datum on all floors for example. A no brainer and a feature that is long, long over due. Still trying to figure out the acronym...:P

Correct,  the MULTIPLE MULTIPLE REFERENCE LAYER SETS.  The ability to reference many floors.  Just the other day someone was asking for STRUCTURAL GRID LINES,  the MMRLS would give us this ability.  You are correct,  a no brainer in may book.

BTW,  there are many users who use the MRLS.....  I am sure you are aware that before X3,  we did not have this ability.  I can not image working without it.  The MMRLS is the MRLS on steroids.  Before X3 we had the RLS....  the ability to use one ONLY ONE reference layer set per plan.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:12 AM, Kenoeightspot said:

Brian-sdesign,

Create your grids on any plan, place them on a layer called Cad-Grids.

Copy and paste to other floors.

I would like something more automated.

Yup that works . But still need in elevation . Arghhh pain.

In Plan copy the top callouts and paste into front elevation adjust into position.

In Plan copy the top callouts and  paste into back elevation the flip direction and pt. to pt. into place.

Similar with side elevations.

Not much effort after grids are placed in plan but could be more automated.