I am having a heck of a time getting started...Need help!

JECORMIER

So many questions...

I cannot view my wall framing members in plan or section views. I also cannot view my foundation re-bar in plan or section views. All I see is the wall type I set up with the color. What magic spell do I need to use?

Also, I am a former Autocad 2D designer and a total noob at this 3D stuff and have been trying to go through the online learning videos but there doesn't seem to be very good overall teaching element that goes over the basic 1,2,3's of how one goes about understanding this product. Yes, I have been pounding the online video tutorials about setting up templates, wall layers etc. but I would like some process explanation and best practices advice from someone who has walked this path before me. Even the forums only help so much. I try to follow along and then I get stuck halfway through the process because whatever I'm doing isn't making the program do what needs to be done. It would be great if I could get together (skype, phone, whatever other means) with a seasoned CA member that could walk me through a handful of questions and show me the process they took to get through the enormous amount of information this program can provide. This stuff is sooo excellent, but I truly need some help in the beginning to get up to speed.

Should have screenshot below... 

You are not going to see rebar as Chief does not add it into the foundation for display. You will need to show rebar in a detail. You have to build the framing for it to show in section view or any view. Make sure all the framing layers are turned on in the view.

Chief has a lot of videos on framing. Also check out the knowledge Base. Chief also provides quite a few cad blocks in the library under the heading "Cad" to design details.

Search on youtube for videos. I know the manual is a pain to read as it constantly refers you to other pages but will give you basic information on how to use chief.

What exactly do you mean?

I have gone under all the layers and turned on all the framing layers except for the"Walls, Main Layer Only" layer. If I put that layer on, all the details of the walls such as sheetrock, osb and siding go away on the plan view and I am left with only the solid 2x6 wall. If I click on the "build framing" button and go through the directories I chose to build wall framing. When I "ok" and get out of the dialogue box and try to draw another wall I get another dialogue box that pops up asking if I want the "Walls, Main Layer Only" layer to be turned on. It's a cycle that goes round and round.

OK, fixed the layer issue. I was drawing my exterior walls on the "Walls, Main Layer Only" layer instead of the "walls, normal" layer.

I still have clicked to frame wall in the framing defaults on each floor but it still doesn't show up in either plan or section view. Hmmm.

The other important thing to remember about framing is that you will not see framing unless you use a "framing Material" for that wall layer - usually the main layer.

I will be available later in the day (Australian time - 4 hours from now) to do a .5 hour Skype session if you would like.

Skype name is glenn-woodward

The other important thing to remember about framing is that you will not see framing unless you use a "framing Material" for that wall layer - usually the main layer.

I will be available later in the day (Australian time - 4 hours from now) to do a .5 hour Skype session if you would like.

Skype name is glenn-woodward

You would be a real knucklehead if you do not accept The Great Glenn Woodward's offer.  

You would be a real knucklehead if you do not accept The Great Glenn Woodward's offer.  

You know I agree with the sentiment, and I get the trying to prevail upon JECORMIER the privilege (that he/she is likely unaware of) offered by Glenn.  But the exhorting seems a bit too indelicate.

I guess it is the descriptor 'knucklehead' that is the problem; the synonyms that I can think of, like numbskull, or bonehead, or even pinhead, seem even worse.  Perhaps dunderhead would work since it has an Aussie sound.  Maybe better yet, just use an emotional appeal like 'you would be foolish to pass up the offer.'  Scott the poster is new and he may not understand your twisted wit, and sincerity. ;) 

Kelly, lighten up , everybody is a knucklehead even you and I,  Doesn't bother me at all, and kinda fun. Everybody needs to laugh once in a while. That's why I come here.   It breaks up my day of sitting in this big man chair thinking intensely all day long. Scott is a breath of fresh air, I really need that fresh air , or my room might just blow up someday.

• Upvote 1

Kelly, lighten up , everybody is a knucklehead even you and I,  Doesn't bother me at all, and kinda fun. Everybody needs to laugh once in a while. That's why I come here.   It breaks up my day of sitting in this big man chair thinking intensely all day long. Scott is a breath of fresh air, I really need that fresh air , or my room might just blow up someday.

So if I were to refer to you as a simpleton, or an imbecile, or a moron, and pass it off as a product of my acerbic wit that would elicit laughter on your part. 

You are right name calling is funny.

Now truthfully, what is your emotional response when you read those other synonyms for Knucklehead directed at you.  I’ll bet you want to write back and say something nasty to me, and actually I kind of deserve it.

That video was great. Everything he said had truth to it.

I do not take anything personal on line. Its just lines arcs and circles forming text. I have been called a lot worse by my wife. I think knucklehead is better than being called stupid or dumb. I cannot count the times when I have heard someone say "Ya little knucklehead". When my Mom got mad at me she would call me "Buster". To this day I do not no if it had any significant meaning or not.

See ya later you knuckleheads.

• Upvote 1

I agree knucklehead is pretty tame compared to the coarseness that's become common place, and I am slightly embarrassed at the stand I have taken about such a triviality.  

I guess I was under an illusion of curtesy begetting curtesy, not being less important than generating laugh lines when it concerns strangers.