Prints out of scale!

olyconstruction

Go to solution Solved by olyconstruction,

Hi Chiefs,

I used to have my print settings just right but I had to switch to a new PDF writer and now my settings are all messed up and not doing what I want them to.

So I am trying to print my sheets to scale on 22x34 sheets, so they can be half scale at 11x17. They appear to be all right up to 8' but then the dimensions start to slip further and further away from the true scale.

I attached a screen shot of my printer settings. I am also attaching a zipped folder of the layout and plans. 

My drawing sheet setup on my layout is set at 24x36, could this be the problem? I am almost positive it was set at 24x36 before and that the PDF writer would just scale it. 

Please let me know what you think the problem may be. I am dead in the water until I can fix this!

Thanks so much!

AB

post-4666-0-59260900-1476153971_thumb.jpg

KRAWCYZK.zip

Half of 24 x 36 is 12 x 18. So yes that is the problem. You are scaling the paper size so anything on that paper will be reduced accordingly. So going from 24x36 down to 11x17 you reduced everything by about 68% instead of 50%.

Its easy to set up a new layout page to 11 x 17. Then you can send at an 1/8th so you will be 100% sure that it is correct. Someone posted a video on how to change layout sheets and the info on those sheets by using either annosets or layer sets  but cannot for the life of me remember who did it.

• Upvote 1

matty t: When I change it to "to scale" it jumps up way larger than the paper and does this really weird PDF with most of the image on the first page, a sliver of the title block on the next page and part of the image that was clipped off on the next page, on and on. Its horrific. Thats why I think it may have to do with my drawing sheet set up which is at 24x36

Jeff: I have been using the ANSI D in my recent settings which should work but I notice that when I print it, it is slightly out of scale. In my drawing sheet set up in CA the size is set at 24x36 (see ss 3), does this mean I am going to have to go back and change the size in there, and reformat my title block and re arrange everything in my layout for it to be in scale for an ANSI D PDF?

Thanks a lot guys!

post-4666-0-16273800-1476161138_thumb.jpg

post-4666-0-74763100-1476161690_thumb.jpg

IMO I think you should have 2 different layout files if you want scale to be accurate. You want 1/4" scale to be accurate and then by changing page size you want your drawing at 1/8" scale accuracy. It sounds logical but I would not trust this procedure, printer is responsible for accuracy on 1/8 scale not CA. 

I have to admit, I am confused by this. That set of plans doesn't have dimensions on it. Are you relying on builders/estimators to pull their own dims when estimating your projects? In all the years I have been doing this, I can probably count on one hand how many times I have scaled a drawing. Dimensions provided should always override a field scale. 

Lew: I really like the Idea of setting up that border (in the drawing sheet set up) I think that might be my solution, but I am afraid now I will have to go in and resize the title block and move everything around. Is that the case? 

Shane: I like that idea, but this has worked for us in the past, this way we can print full size or half size and have accurate scaling, I guess something got messed up when we started using the updated layout template. I am worried because if that is the case I am going to have to take some time to go back and re size every project in the new layout!

Joey: The project has a lot mere dimensions that are hidden, we are going to show them when it is time to produce the actual construction documents. I was told specifically to omit most of the dimensions so the project would appear "clean and un-crowded" to estimators and contractors who would scale it themselves. I agree with you, I think I should include all the dimensions I have. 

Perry: Where do you go in the plan file to view the page setup?

Thanks a lot everyone!

I have an idea. Like Lew said draw a boarder around to get 22x34. Add for print margins and make sure everything on the layout fits inside that box. Print at 50% which is technically 12x18 but stick 11x17 paper in the machine and print. I am assuming you want 11x17 for project buy out.

The problem with doing this is your text height is no longer to scale and will be difficult to read.

The problem with doing this is your text height is no longer to scale and will be difficult to read

Jeff:

not sure about that ???

I had no issues but I was doing this with X4 and earlier and without using annosets

recently I created info sheets for my family's celebration of our ancestors arrival on

the Niagara Frontier in 1816

I created them for 22 x 34 planning to print on 11 x 17

but ended up printing on 8 1/2 x 11 and they looked and read fine

Lew

Lew, if you keep the standard size of the window and door text (sizes) I would need a magnifying glass to read.

Hey, when are you going to post some updates on that project you are working on. I would be interested in seeing your work but do not want to travel to NY to see it.

Thanks

Lew, you started that project so long ago, your plans probably need to be in a museum. One question have you been updating those plans with every new version ,or keeping it in 9.5 or whatever you started with .
I would hate to go back, in fact I'm not sure I could do it.

• Solution

Hahaha! "started so long ago it should be in a museum". Now that is funny!

So anyway, the answer is to set the drawing sheet at 22x34 in the layout of chief and adjust the title block to fit. It helps to put a little border in there too to make sure your title block is not cut off by automatic printer margins. You get a 2" plus your margin border on ARCH D prints, but oh well, I think it is great to have the PDF compatible to ARCH D and 11x17 size and still be in scale. 

Using this system you will never have to draw another dimension again. 

Thank you so much everyone!

P.S. you should probably still draw in dimensions though.