Updated To OS X Sierra + Now CA Crashes

usingchief

I have been holding off upgrading my Mac OSX but finally needed to do it for other apps.  So bit the dust and upgraded my Mac to Sierra yesterday and today CA Premier X8 crashes intermittently. • Version 18.3.1.2 OSX. Anyone having similar issues on their Mac?  Crashed 5 times in less than 20 minutes.  First time,.. lost all the work. ;-( 

I'm seeing something similar on my MacBook Pro, but not on my iMac. Both are running Sierra. I replaced the SSD drive on my MacBook to a larger one right after upgrading the OS, so I thought the crashing was related to that, but now you've got me rethinking that... I haven't had a chance yet, but I'm planning on trying a repair installation (if that's even an option) or just deleting and reinstalling Chief. Have you tried that?

Just updated to Sierra on late 2015 iMac and CA 8 has slowed to an absolute crawl.  I would caution anyone with a similar machine and in the middle of an important workflow to think twice about Sierra at this point.  Everything was fine until Sierra, which is not playing nice with CA8 Prem.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac17,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 32 GB

AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

CA support help stated that Mac OSX Sierra and CA are not that compatiable.  They don't recommend upgrading to Sierra.   That said,... I rebooted the Mac again, rebooted CA and so far,... have not been experiencing the issues that I had ... tho' it did crash again today.... just not like it was when it was repeatedly bombing.  

I came on here to see if there was a solution to the problem.  Mine crashes all the time using Sierra Version 10.12 on a 2015 15" Macbook Pro and Chief Verson 18.3.1.2.  I cannot get anything done, going to try rebooting.

My is also crashing and the mouse is really sluggish. CA support help also stated to me that Mac OSX Sierra and CA are not that compatible. Chief is definitely need to upgrade the software to be compatible with Sierra.

Martin Chroust-Masin

Chief X-8 (latest)

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac17,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 24 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M395

Type: GPU

VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

My is also crashing and the mouse is really sluggish. CA support help also stated to me that Mac OSX Sierra and CA are not that compatible. Chief is definitely need to upgrade the software to be compatible with Sierra.

Martin Chroust-Masin

Chief X-8 (latest)

Model Identifier: iMac17,1

Processor Speed: 4 GHz

Memory: 24 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M395

Type: GPU

VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Here is my info...  hey wait a second,  your 'puter is better than mine.

Model Identifier: iMac14,2

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B13

SMC Version (system): 2.15f7

Serial Number (system):*

Hardware UUID: 833D271F-7E8C-5F8F-B489-5B408BA31431

I am not having problems....  I don't think I am.  Who did you talk to over there at CA?

BTW,  if I know what I am talking about,  and I probably don't,  but I have a NVIDIA card and you have an ATI.  Haven't I heard there are issues with ATI cards?

post-50-0-52134800-1476303670_thumb.png

Sometimes when the OS is updated - the Graphics is set to the OnBoard Chipset.  I don't know if this is true with the MAC, but it happens with Windows PCs.  When that happens I just go into the NVIDIA Control Panel and reset it to use the NVIDIA GPU.

Maybe that's what's happened to some of you MAC users when the OS was upgraded.

I got fed up and rolled my iMac back from Sierra to El Capitan. I will wait until Chief Brains get around to upgrade the program.

Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac17,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 24 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M395

Type: GPU

VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

• 2 weeks later...

Since upgrading my MacBook to Sierra  have been experiencing random crash events.

Please prioritize fixing this problem.

System / Software Configuration:

CA Premier X8 build 18.3.1.2OSX

Sierra Version 10.12 (16A323)

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

Processor 1.2 GHz Intel Core M

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 5300 1536 MB

Thank you in advance.

Erik Chaum

Just a reminder from our forum guidelines:

Please do not use this forum to try and report bugs to us. Although we have moderators that monitor this forum who occasionally will answer questions, they do not look for reports of bugs. You should always contact our Technical Support department directly if you think that you have found a bug in one of our products.

That said, we have received a number of reports of random crashing on Macs after people have upgraded to Sierra.  Only some people appear to have the problems but they seem to be having them frequently.  We are looking into this and making this a top priority.  It is possible that we may be able to do something on our end and release a patch that prevents the crashing.

For now, I would recommend that you don't get Sierra if you haven't already got it.  If you do have Sierra and are experiencing these problems, you may want to try working with bumping/pushing turned off.  This may or may not solve the problems, but it might also be a more difficult way to work.  The only other thing would be to rollback your OS.

As always, if you are ever experiencing any crashes for any reason, I would encourage you to contact technical support:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/#contact

• 3 months later...