How to make terrain more realistic

Clemsongrad

I'm getting close to finishing the model.

What techniques or tools do I need to use to make the terrain look like real grass and not tiled?

Also how do I blend it so that it harmonizes with the background images.

I've searched the training videos but have not found any that address this. If there is, I'd like to know the name.

Thank you!

Larry

I'm on a new/used PC and still have to get the specs off it.

All grass will be tiled, just look in the Library under Materials>Landscaping>Grass & Ground Covers and choose the one you like or search for a seamless texture online and import it, or make your own.

The simplest solution for blending the transition is to make the terrain perimeter a little larger and throw in some trees,shrubs,gardens etc around the perimeter where the edge is visible and or the shape of the edge can be adjusted.

For grass in the past I have taken a photo of a oval or other big area of grassed land and photo shop it in to the area but you should be able to place it in Chiefs texture slot and play with the texture sizing and see if it works , there are also image on the net that can be used

I have not tried this in chief so are not 100 % sure it will work but worth a try

After all these years, I'm trying to figure it out myself, but it does make a great difference if you want it. You can have bumb maps for just about everything in the plan.

Perry,  would you mind posting a small plan with the grass and bump map you are using?  Thanks

Watch some of the render videos at Chief (The 2015 seminar video). A good start is by darkening the default grass. I did not realize it but 95% of the Videos on Chief are in X7 and X8 format now.

It would be nice if you could set up "Terrain Layers" like the walls so dirt and other earth type objects can be depicted.