How to clean up user catalog?

keysersoze

Not sure how i have so many duplicate user libraries but i do.

It takes forever to delete these.

Is there a way to clean these up?

I suspect it is slowing down my library from opening.

Thanks

Just drag the ones you don't want down into the trash can folder, one right click

there and select delete and presto. all gone.

Thanks Jere, i can do this for some of the small folders, but i have some very large folders that are duplicated.

I have 6 texture folders with over 14,000 objects in each...so i select and right click and delete file, ca copies items first and then deleted them, it takes about 15-20 mins to do this for just one.

I thought there might be a location on my drive that i could delete duplicates easier.

David

They are in the CA Data file, but only Chief can open the calibz. file.

Interestingly, when I clicked on the file in the data folder, it just added then

to my user lib. and now I have duplicates to delete  :o

Live and learn (I will keep telling myself).

• 6 years later...

I was trying to clean up my library also and moved some of my user items into the trash (scroll to the very bottom of the library browser to find trash).  Once they were in the trash folder I hit the delete button on my keyboard....and poof!  gone.  I then selected several items in the trash folder at once with the shift button and then hit the delete button on the keyboard again...and again...poof!  gone.  You might be able to drag a whole library into the trash folder and then select it and hit the delete button.  Good luck.  I am back to working on cleaning up my library one item at a time.

Another method would be to

-ctrl select the folders that you know you need and

then still holding the ctrl key, right click, export. (Might even do that as a couple of groups of folders.)

Then close Chief, go to your data folder, and delete  User_Library.calib (Or safer yet rename User_Library.calib from dot calib to dot old)

Open chief and import the exported libraries.

From the sounds of it I think the hard part is figuring out what you have that you need :)

Mine got out of hand as well since I import a lot of models from the 3D warehouse.  I'm usually in a rush, so I would just import them to get them in my model and over time they just sit in the main User Catalog folder with some name assigned by the original modeler.  I have been working on cleaning things up a few hours at a time by importing the model into a .plan file, cleaning up the texture and other settings, then saving them back into my user catalog under the proper name and folder.  I have also been assigning the keyword attributes so I can easily search under different keywords and find them later.  I don't know how many models I found during the clean that I had downloaded multiple times because I could find the original download.  

It takes a lot of time, but I am now starting the reap the benefits of having it organized and not having the tweak the textures and settings each time I bring the model into my plans.  Since I haven't found a way to import directly into specific user folder, I usually add a prefix of TEMP before the name of a newly imported model, so I can easily find all of the newly imported models I need to tweak and put in my folder structure.  Once I make my tweaks, I add it to my user library in the proper folder and delete the TEMP model.  

While doing this, I am also creating architectural blocks of various models I put together as a group like furniture groups, cabinet / appliance groups, etc. that I commonly use in models.  It makes that go so much faster when I am laying things out since the items come in together with the textures already tweaks for PBR.

It definitely takes time, but since there are 4 of us in the office who can share the user catalog, it makes the effort worth it since we are all saving time each time we use the system.