Importing terrain data

Lighthouse

Hi,

I posted previously but Scott can't do it so I'm trying again.  I need to import topo and terrain data from my surveyor into and existing X5 plan.  I've done this once or twice before and remember that it was tricky and I don't have time to attempt it (deadline tomorrow, trying to finish cabinet drawings).  If anyone can help I would really appreciate, also happy to pay for your time.  I need the terrain imported, aligned with the house, and set so that the house first floor is at 158.1 elevation.  Thanks much to anyone who can help.  Please email me directly as the file size is too big to upload here.  davidhornstein@verizon.net

David Hornstein

www.light-house-design.com

X5

• 1 month later...

You guys must understand what you can and cannot do.  You cannot import the 3D TERRAIN.  All you can do is import the CAD LINES that represent topo lines and then you must trace those lines and assign an elevation to them.

As Barton eluded to,  you must be specific as to what you want to do and what you are specifically having problems with...... \

"You cannot import the 3D TERRAIN.  All you can do is import the CAD LINES that represent topo lines and then you must trace those lines and assign an elevation to them."

There are at least two ways to import 3D terrain data.

You can import 3D terrain data using the "Import Terrain Data" tool.  The data has to be stored in a text file with X,Y,Z coordinates and a bunch of different formats are supported.

You can also import 3D data using the "Import Drawing" tool.  If your DWG/DXF file has elevation lines with height info, you can convert them directly into Chief's elevation lines keeping all of the heights.  You have to be sure to use the "Convert Selected Layers" drop down list to convert the data into Elevation Data.  Using this method, you don't need to trace over the lines or type in your own heights.  Be warned though, if the file you are importing has a lot of elevation lines, this could really slow down Chief and you may want to trace over them using elevation splines instead.

You can import 3D terrain data using the "Import Terrain Data" tool.  The data has to be stored in a text file with X,Y,Z coordinates and a bunch of different formats are supported.

You can also import 3D data using the "Import Drawing" tool.  If your DWG/DXF file has elevation lines with height info, you can convert them directly into Chief's elevation lines keeping all of the heights.  You have to be sure to use the "Convert Selected Layers" drop down list to convert the data into Elevation Data.  Using this method, you don't need to trace over the lines or type in your own heights.  Be warned though, if the file you are importing has a lot of elevation lines, this could really slow down Chief and you may want to trace over them using elevation splines instead.

Well,  I may stand corrected.  So  you get an acad file that has topo lines and these lines have an elevation assigned to the topo lines,  I do not understand how CA will understand these lines have a terrain  elevation assigned to them,  but if they do and CA can recognize the elevations,  this is super......  I  think.  

I am sure CA has a video explaining this process,  does anybody know where it is?

Ditto all the above. Importing 3D terrain data is a minor detail.

However the problem with using a DWG file is that the draft persons trend to "block" the terrain contours which prevents them from being imported into Chief.

They generally do this because they construct the  cad lines themselves with just points and its easier to then block into a line. In that case, your only choice is to retrace the Cad Line as Scott said. Properly formatted, DWG files will import correctly into Chief with no problem. It's a matter of education. Using a Third party program, like Turbocad you can unblock and reform the lines, but that is a "huge" PITA.

If the OP wants to post the file, I'm sure he would get a answer or, at least the real problem,in a few minutes here.

There are TWO posters here  , Cincilator is talking about DWG's , the OP, Lighthouse doesn't mention his file type....

rest of the thread is regarding the "you can't import 3d data" statement,   you can in the right format.....

Your contours appear to be just 2D Cad lines with no Z height. The Elev points are just text.

To import, the lines must be 3D Cad lines with a Z height. The points must be 3D also, if used.

You could, however, import and enter the elevation data manually into the contour lines since you only have a few. However it does not appear that the contours were formed properly as you have varying data points along them. They should be only one height per contour.

IOW -- this is not a elevation file.