Truss no one.

olyconstruction

Go to solution Solved by rlackore,

Hi Chiefs,

I am attaching a plan file of a roof I am working on (and have posted about already a couple of times). I need the whole roof to be trussed, but I am not sure how I am going to do it. I have been getting a lot of weird looking trusses that have automatically generated and I am not sure if they are actually build able. I also want to know how to build a truss over a row of columns, supported my a beam and ledger over the decks, and what kind of truss i should use for the vaulted ceiling in the great room. Basically any truss advice you could give that could make this roof work I would really appreciate. 

Furthermore, if you notice anything funky in my section views (GARAGE SECTION, CROSS LIVING, and STAIR CROSS) as far as the general framing and the overall construct-ability  is concerned please let me know as well, if you know how to fix it, even better!! 

I really do value the help very much, Thank you,

AB

KRAWCYZK.plan

• Solution

Before I let Chief run wild with roof framing, I always print a roof plan, lay down some bumwad, and hand-draw a conceptual framing plan. This forces me to critically think about the framing and helps me identify and address any unusual conditions. Then, when I draw the truss in Chief, I can use the result as a check against my concept, and vice-versa. I modify each truss, or alter the underlying plan conditions, as necessary. This is a systematic method, and it takes time, but I've found it has great benefit, especially when reviewing the truss shop drawings. It may be a step too far for some folks, but I develop framing plans and schedules for every project, so I consider it part-and-parcel of the job.

• Upvote 1

Wow! awesome job Shane K. I like that a lot and that is a lot farther than I have gotten. The only trouble is that there is a vaulted ceiling above the great room that wont let the trusses go all the way across. 

Mr. Lackore: I definitely think I have to do some more planning on this and take some time to think about how it will be built. I will use your approach in the future, plus ive been meaning to bust out the bumwad as of late, it really is incredible how different things are processed when using pen and paper as opposed to a CAD format.

For now I am just going to put in just enough for the cross sections to look ok. 

I am about to post another truss question right now if you have not had enough truss stuff. 

Thanks a lot for the help!

I assume you have a truss MFG you use for all your trusses. As soon as you get your roof drawn send it to the truss MFG and have them do a layout and then you review it. Keep doing that until you are comfortable doing it on your own. Get them to send you designs they have done for other builders so you can under stand truss layout. I always had my Design team send their plans to the  truss MFG for design, then study the design and add to the plans. You will get to a point where you can tell the Truss MFG on how you want them designed.

OP's roof plan was not complete and not buildable as designed. So getting roof plan in order is foremost, not only roof design but set up of : truss specs (chord sizes and raise-lower ect..... ) / roof structure tab. The more accurate your 3d model is the better the truss design. Jeff's advice is accurate and very important.