Sip roof not bearing on correct surface

HarryOrd

Hi all,

My first post to this forum. Been using X8 for a few months now. I modeled a basic room with SIP walls and SIP shed roof but the lower wall is shown as bearing on the foam core of the roof panel rather than sitting on the outer surface of the OSB. See attached annotated screen shot. The higher end wall shown correctly.

Also attached the plan in case someone wants to take a look at it for anything obvious I've not set correctly.

Thanks,

Harry

SIP walls1.plan

post-11699-0-57608400-1475314070_thumb.png

This something you do by controlling the "Z" axis height of roof planes making sure that they are first properly set up in ones "Structure" tab. You just control the software or not based upon your skill and persistence to have what you want. You can also add or subtract 2D overlays to make it look the way you want for a detail. Often in drafting and 3D modeling you are going for an appearance and NOT perfection, just a clear, graphic communication via your plan and its views.

DJP

Hi all,

My first post to this forum. Been using X8 for a few months now. I modeled a basic room with SIP walls and SIP shed roof but the lower wall is shown as bearing on the foam core of the roof panel rather than sitting on the outer surface of the OSB. See attached annotated screen shot. The higher end wall shown correctly.

Also attached the plan in case someone wants to take a look at it for anything obvious I've not set correctly.

Thanks,

Harry

attachicon.gifSIP walls1.plan

attachicon.gifSIP roof not bearing on SIP wall correctly.png

Such an interesting question.   If I had to guess,  you built your roof  planes with TRUSSES checked.  IOW,  you built a truss roof system and not conventional roof system.

See my pic,  the roof on the left is a TRUSS ROOF SYSTEM and the one on the right is CONVENTIONAL FRAME ROOF.  If you look at my ROOF STRUCTURE DETAILS DBX you will understand what the structure is for both roofs.

If you post your plan,  I would be interested in finding out how you defined your roof structure.

post-50-0-04728400-1475343693_thumb.png

Such an interesting question.   If I had to guess,  you built your roof  planes with TRUSSES checked.  IOW,  you built a truss roof system and not conventional roof system.

See my pic,  the roof on the left is a TRUSS ROOF SYSTEM and the one on the right is CONVENTIONAL FRAME ROOF.  If you look at my ROOF STRUCTURE DETAILS DBX you will understand what the structure is for both roofs.

If you post your plan,  I would be interested in finding out how you defined your roof structure.

Thinking about this some more,  I am not sure if either situation is behaving as I would expect.....  DJP might have a point when I think he suggested dropping the roof plane down......  I am not sure.....  I have not tested this enough......  but a good question...... 

Thanks everyone for your replies.

dshall - I see the differences in the roof cross section views but not sure about why the inner wall surface is going up into the roof structure? (the one on the right). Also, my test plan is attached with my posting if you still want to take a look.

If I move the roof plane up a bit then it would correct the outer surface of the short wall end but then the roof would sit high at the inner wall surface of the short wall end and at the long wall end. I could correct this situation by changing the roof pitch at the ridge height which I did. See screenshot.

Would be nice to know why it represents the bearing this way. i can take your advice BJP and just ignore it and get onto the rest of the model :-)

post-11699-0-54665000-1475406729_thumb.jpg