Hardware lock, software lock and everything in between

Alaskan_Son

Go to solution Solved by Dan_Park,

I need some clarification on the issue of which type of lock to use, when, and some other related issues. 

I'm considering getting a laptop to run Chief so I can work in the field, when away on trips, etc.  To date I have only ever run Chief on one single PC in my office and have pretty much always had an internet connection so I've never been concerned with the "lock" issue. My questions would be these...

1.  If I'm going to start using a laptop will I need to get a hardware lock??

2.  Is the hardware lock the only way to get Chief to run without an internet connection??  I live in Alaska, and so lack of WiFi is definitely  a potential problem when traveling.

3.  Can I use both types of lock back and forth and how much of a hassle will that be??

4.  Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

• Solution

The places you can go without internet are decreasing, however, in places like Idaho and Alaska you can still easily find them.

With the software lock, if there is internet it pings the server. If you go for more than a week without pinging a server you will get a nag screen. Once you first get that nag screen you have a week to get back to the internet.

You choose to have software lock or hardware lock security. To have both would require two licenses.

Hardware locks get lost and broken. It takes time to get a new one shipped. In most areas of the world you can probably get to internet quicker than you can get a lock shipped to you.

I recommend the Software Lock and it is preferred by most. Some like the hardware lock.

Some of the reasons to prefer the hardware lock are, in my opinion, unfounded. (Chief goes out of buisness, internet goes down for weeks at a time, etc.)

The only good reason, again my opinion, to own a hardware lock is when you never have access to the internet.

• Upvote 1

Okay.  Thank you Dan.  That was super helpful.  I don't foresee any reason I would be without internet access for more than 2 weeks so I think a hardware lock would be unnecessary.  The only thing I could possibly see being an issue to consider is a massive grid failure.  In that case though it would seem using Chief Architect may not be a very high priority : )

I prefer the hardware lock because I find the deactivate/activate dance to be rather tedious

I don't have a network at home so I would have to get the laptop out of the bag

find some desk space plug it in to the internet switch the license repack the laptop

then do the whole thing over again when I get home

it would be nice to have a meter on the laptop where I could load 8 hrs of time

and then when it starts to get low I could buy more time

Lew