Looking for advice about autocad

pazzfam

Hi

My engineer just requested I send the complete plan to him in dwg to review. I have sent parts in the past  and I have sent floor plans but never the entire lay out sheet.

I experimented by taking  a layout page and using the convert to cad tool then export that view to dwg  If you were sent that can you work on that in auto cad?? 

Is it to scale??  because it is coming from the layout. The layout may have multiple details at different scale 

I usually just print plans and engineer redlines or I pdf and they mark up

Thanks

Adam

What I did was convert the entire layout sheet to cad then to export to dwg A layout page has notes details floor plans as this is what he requested He wanted everthing in DWG I am asking more out of curiosity. Why would someone want this and would the AutoCAD user be able to scale everything 

My partner tought me about exporting all the info on layouts in one simple click. copy all the info in layouts( sheet 2-9)  to sheet 1, but not exactly on the paper space. Any where on the layout sheet 1 works fine, remember to marque select all the layout sheets one by one and paste it on sheet 1. Finally export the layout sheet 1 to .dwg and he will be able to open that file as a model space in autocad,containing all your data. One thing he may need is to increase the scale by a number k which is the inverse of the scale originally used when sending to layout.and every thing must work as he wants. Hope that helps.

The way I share with Engineers who use AutoCAD is

1.Find out which version of AutoCAD they use

2.Open my layout,

3. Double click on the views I want to share

4. Export from an Edit Plan view window so the reciepient does not have to rescale the views

(if you export directly from a layout page the native scaling of 1' = 1' is then lost and creates unnecessary trouble for the Engineer

5. I also send a PDF of my layout for reference

Never had a problem following the above steps.

DJP

I export the entire plan, then open in CAD & change the layer colors to ByLayer & all white color because I use a black background.

Chief uses darker colors & don;t display well on Black.

If a 2 or 3 story & change all layer name so the floor is in front of the name.

from  Walls_  Normal-3

to     3-Walls_  Normal

easier to sort & group in autocad. I use  a LISP routine to do all this.